What's new

Notice anything strange on the Space: Above and Beyond main menus? (1 Viewer)

Steve Tack

Agent
I can't be the only one who noticed a certain space station from a different show on the menus for Space: Above and Beyond. Weird. I'm guessing whoever designed those menu backgrounds has never seen either show. :)

John*D

Second Unit
Yeah, get a screen-cap.

Maybe it was in the show as an easter egg to pay homage?

:angry: Or some wacko trying to put stuff in the menu that shouldn't be there... :D

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Oh, that is funny. Honestly I thought it was going to be DS9 or some obscure alien space station from any of a dozen shows. That is one seriously cheesey-looking menu. I don't know if someone snuck that in on purpose or if a lazy graphics drone just went to an SF site or two to grab some "cool-looking" generic graphics. (Maybe whoever it is copied an "in joke" off some fan site. :)) I've got to check the moderated B5 news group and see if anyone's brought this to JMS's attention yet - and if so what his reaction was. :)

Regards,

Joe

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I've posted a message to JMS's attention on the moderated newsgroup with a link to this thread. I'll be interested in his reaction. BTW, are we sure this is a real image and not a gag that someone over at DVD Talk put together?

Regards,

Joe

ravma

Stunt Coordinator
Which was my theory, Gord. I betcha someone got the graphics mixed up and, not knowing what Babylon 5 was, put that on the menu.
Any way you look at it, it's pretty freakin funny.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I noticed it too. Thought about bringing it up on the Space Above and Beyond thread. I remember a Star Trek book a few years back that had a cover with an upside down Galactica in the background of the art. As far as Space Above...maybe one CGI space ship looks like another to the guys who do the menus?

Katherine_K

Second Unit
Gord,

Didn't know that, makes sense. Thanks for the info.

My bet is that it wont be there as of the second pressing, if there ever is a second pressing. My bet is that this is a small run item and I'm more inclined to doubt that there will be a second pressing. I don't think Warner will throw a fit (or I wouldn't if I were them), there are always employees or subcontractors that do 'in jokes' that they don't think others will notice. If Warner made a stink it could be the next time something like this happens it would be one of their sets.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
:laugh:

I was thinking about picking this up, I remember watching the show on Fox when I was in H.S. Now with the Babylon 5 station on the menu, how can I resist?

:laugh:

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I'm still waiting for my RASFTB5M post to get through moderation and appear on the group. :frowning:

Yet another example of the dangers of outsourcing, I suppose. ;) Someone really needs to needle Peter Staddon about this one. (In a nice way, of course. We only kid out of love. :))

Regards,

Joe

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
So that's what happened to Babylon 4! :D

The newsgroup post is up, finally, and has drawn some fan response, but nothing from the Man himself yet. I'll keep you posted.

Joe

Will_C

Second Unit
Real Name
Will
Oh I definitely have to pull out this set and check out that menu. I wonder if they'll end up having to yank copies off shelves and issue new corrected versions to stores. Maybe our copies will become a valuable collector's item. Hey, if GTA:SA, pre "Hot Coffee" scandal, can shoot up in value, why not this set?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks