nothing like motorcycle upgrades!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Philip_G, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

[​IMG]
    HAD to share [​IMG]
    I installed a new exhaust system tonight, and did some re-wiring of the tail lights (well, I had to, the signals didn't clear the exhaust pipes so I wired the signals into the brake lights)
    sorry it's dark out, the new pics are the bottom 3, all the ones above that are the bikes progression, from in the pickup when it was new, until now in chronological order [​IMG]
    www.onlinemac.com/users/philip/falco.html
    the exhaust was fun, the directions were in English, sort of... they amounted to "remove OEM can, install mid pipe, install new can" it didn't mention the spacers for the passenger foot pegs, the mounting bracket installation etc.. thank god for blw up views!

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Philip:

You have every reason to share this information. I understand. Used to write for a bike rag long, long ago. How well I understand. Motorcycles, in a way, are more compelling even than home theater. Blasphemy, of course, for me to say. But it's true. (Last bike: CBR900RR.)

JB

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

nah not at all. HT is great, but riding can't be matched by anything, not even flying [​IMG]
    actually what's funny is I'm reading a motorcycle board post about HT subs and writing on a HT board about bikes, interesting [​IMG]
    anywho, you're out of MC'ing? by choice I hope and not by an unscheduled get off. If by choice the new 954 looks nice *hint*hint* hehehe bikes are great, it's like HT, no matter how much I cuss and scream at it working on it, the first time I fire it up and hear it I forget about what a PITA it was to do.
    I'm going to the track (brainerd MN) on Monday for a track school, think I can read twist of the wrist II by then? I think so [​IMG]

4. Jack Briggs

Eddie Lawson used to say that bikes are the most fun you can have with your clothes on! (Had fun at Willow a few times.) Newest YZF-R1 is intriguing. Still like GSX-R1000. So many mounts ...

5. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Nice bike, I've never seen an Aprilia before, what are they like, and what are the stats on that bike. It looks comparable to Yamaha's R1 or R6. BTW, what kind of exhaust is that, looks like Hindle, and man, is it ever huge, compared to stock!

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Those look like beautiful pipes. From the looks of it they're nice and throaty without being deafening, just the kind I like. I hope they actually help performance. Will that rear light work pass your state safety inspection?

7. DennisHP

DennisHP Second Unit

NICE BIKE!
    Do ATV's count in this thread? If so, in the past year I have totally restored a 1986 Honda ATC 350X. I bought a Powroll 400 kit and had the local machine shop re-sleeve the cylinder, re-grind and install new titanium valves/guide. I also added a mid range cam, of course a new exhaust system, a K&N filter, new chain and sprockets and every cool do-dad I could find for a bike this age. It's a screamer on the Oregon dunes and is a total blast to ride in the mountains. In fact, I'll be riding this weekend. If ATV's do not count in this thread, then disregard this post. [​IMG]
    See it here:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...&photoid=12226

8. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I'll try to sum up all the questions in one post [​IMG]
    Aprilia's are awesome [​IMG] for a production bike their fit and finish is second to none IMO. The handling is great, the engine is a 998cc 60 degree V twin, same engine as the mille, just a touch lower compression. Don't get me wrong, it has it's quirks, but it's minor stuff like a dodgy rear shock that wears out fast, easy to replace with a mille shock for less than 100 bucks. Stock we're talking about 120hp at the crank, with the EPROM I have and the exhaust maybe 112-115 at the wheel. The exhaust doesn't gain much peak HP, maybe 2 HP at peak, but in the mid range it can be as much as 5HP over stock, and it's MUCH smoother, the stock cans have a flat spot between 5k and 6k RPM (emissions purposes) and it's GONE now. I find myself pulling the front end up in 2nd now by accident (just a couple inches, 'd have to tug a bit if I really wanted it up)
    the exhaust is a LeoVinci SBK (not street legal [​IMG]) Aluminum, the titanium is like 200$ more, and the bike already has enough black, so I didn't want carbon fiber. it is DEEP and loud. At idle it sounds a bit like a harley, about as deep, but a smooth rumble. At 8k RPM it screams pretty loud though [​IMG]
    ATV's are always welcome! just remove 2 of the wheels lol

9. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

Love it, Love it, Love it!

10. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

Well, I had just about decided to switch to a cruiser since I recently laid my Suzuki down a bit.[​IMG] But seeing is believing. Maybe I should get a sport-tourer .... seems like a decent mix of both worlds. OK, just created another reason to hit the bike shops this weekend.

11. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

OMG you did not just call the falco a sport tourer?
    it isn't [​IMG] the futura is a sport tourer (and a very fine bike also)

12. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

Nope, didn't call (wasn't trying to anyway) it a sport-tourer. What I was trying to say is that after seeing the Falco, I want both. And that maybe a nice sport-tourer would do the trick in canvasing both worlds.

13. Jack Briggs

For sport tourers, I'd like to read some test reports on Honda's new 1300cc version of their longitudinal V-Four.

14. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

I have a friend who just got a Harley V-Rod, DAM I want one soooo bad!!!!

15. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

SPORT tourers.... Take a look at what the magazines, particularly Motorcycle Consumer News (the most important), are saying about the Kawasaki ZZR-1200. And the (comparatively very wimpy) new Honda Interceptor with a miserable implementation of VTEC.

Or if you're interested in Sport TOURERS wait for the new Honda Goldwing (not so) Junior ST1300 or take a look at the new Yamaha FJR. Great bikes all.

The Falco's a nice naked bike, but I'd personally prefer a ZRX1200 in that class.

16. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

The FJR is OK, some minor gripes about the bodywork, and the plastic hitting people in the knees. For an ST the futura, duc, or BMW's are the only way to go. Maybe even a triumph sprint ST...

17. Gary Hensley

Gary Hensley Stunt Coordinator

I just installed a few weeks ago a new Yoshimura TRS Zyclone slip-on exhaust for my 02 R1. I hated the stock one it because it was too quiet. My new pipe is not loud but has a nice throaty rumble.

18. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

new pics in the day time.

ugh, at least you only have to buy one can and one link pipe. I have to buy 2 of each