What's new

'Nothing Left Unsaid: Gloria Vanderbilt & Anderson Cooper' on HBO (1 Viewer)

Ken H

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
I'm not quite sure what to think about this one. It premiered on HBO last night and although I watched it, my attention wandered.

The documentary is based on a series of conversations between the mother and son, discussing her life, with Cooper asking questions he has about it. There is no question Ms. Vanderbilt has led a varied and interesting life to say the least, but the conversational style of the documentary, or something, seems to take the steam out of it. The length was 108 minutes, but it just got boring after awhile. I expected with all of Anderson Cooper's experience talking to people, that conversations with his mother would be very interesting.

Some reviewers are noting the lack of detail about the fact she has been estranged from one of her sons for roughly 40 years, and that in the 1990's she sued her psychiatrist and a lawyer that managed her business for forming an illegal company that defrauded her out of $2 million dollars. The lawyer didn't pay taxes she owed which led to her having to sell her Southampton, NY summer home and her Manhattan townhouse to pay the IRS.

Just curious what others thought.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The estrangement was mentioned, but she professed ignorance as to his motives. It's a rather somber documentary, and the conversation weaves in and out with Cooper's commentary on his mom. I'd never want to see it again, but I'm glad I got to see it this once. It's a decent overview of a troubled, topsy-turvy life.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Yeah, I wouldn't want to see it again, but it was pretty interesting and you come away once again not envying the fabulously wealthy. A mother watched her son run and jump off a 14 story penthouse to his death. With an experience like that to replay and replay, living to 92 is more a curse than a blessing.

Mark Mayes

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Mayes
It was depressing, but fascinating.
One example that comes to mind was the admission that Gloria was looking for a sense of family while acknowledging her curious detachment/neglect of her mother-like nanny's end of life..
It signified a complex self-absorption that would not resolve her intimacy issues.

She admits having the hard heart of a child, but seems proud that it has given her survival. She is delightful, but the doc gives the sense that she left a lot of casualties in her wake.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I just couldn't get past the fact she's 92.

Shows what fabulous wealth, loads of plastic surgery, dental implants, hair dye and a professional stylist can do.

No jealousy towards people like her, but they certainly live different lives compared to us "regular" people.

They actually seemed like really nice, sincere people. Not the snooty attitude you so often see with the 1%.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks