What's new

NOTHING impressive about Jurassic Park III (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Wow, that sounds terrible. The only time that worked was the hilarious interview of the talking gremlin in Gremlins 2.

As for Lost World, I actually thought the best scene in the film was the part were the T-Rexes push the caravan off the cliff - and that was the only part of the second book that Spielberg retained for the film (and justifiably so - the rest of the book was awful, directionless and unmemorable).
I thought that was a great scene in the book, but found it ponderous in the movie. The only things I liked were the image of the raptors cutting through the tall grass and the compys. Everything else was just horribly bad.

David_N

Stunt Coordinator
JP III is fine if you want to see some Dinosaurs eating people and all.
But seriously I think the real reason people are so critical about the sequels, is that they will NEVER AGAIN have the "ooohhhhh aaaahhhh" factor of the original. CG has spoiled the movie goer and until the next big thing comes along, that nostalgic feeling won't be recreated no matter what is put on the screen.

And JP2 and 3 gave the audience what they liked and remembered about the first....people getting chased by realistic looking dinosaurs.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I also thought the whole Raptor Intelligence thing (setting traps, having a language, even almost bargaining with the human characters) was pusing it a bit. I think the film was just trying too hard to make us believe that they are super intelligent animals. I know they needed a new angle, but I would rather of had them develop the "Why are there Dinosaurs that are not on Ingen's roster" instead.

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
this disc had so much bass on my system that the cops came to our house.

not because of neighbor complaints, but because our alarm thought the back window had broken and the siren was going off outside without us knowing for about 10 minutes during and right after the plane crash scene. we were in the basement theater and couldn't hear it!

unfortunatley we didn't catch it in time (at the time it was a new place and we didn't have a phone in the basement) so the cops ended up making a friendly visit....

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
JP3 has a beautiful, filmlike transfer; definitely the best of the three movies --- at least it appeared so on my old set-up. I am going to have to check it out on my display and DVD player.

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
i watched JP1 recently and was shocked how soft it looked....i seem to remember also seeing a lot of ntsc artifacting, like a laserdisc transfer would have.

i started watching Lost World to see how that looked....until i remembered just how excrutiatingly bad parts of that movie are (the introduction to Goldblum's daughter might be the single worst scene Spielberg has ever directed).

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Rented it online (finally found WS that way), and should have just bought it outright.
Awesome picture and sound, and a TON more fun than the other films. Nice to have no Attenborough or drawn-out exposition (that you didn't even need if you saw any of the media blitz surrounding JP 1.) JPIII focused on action, and I really liked the intelligent Raptors. They were always the coolest part of the JP films for me anyway. Though I didn't notice the retractable claws so much this time (that they actually got to work in JP 2) if I recall. I was so disappointed they didn't seem to do much with them in JP1 aftr they'd been mentioned.
Tea Leoni didn't contribute much (does she ever?:)), and yeah, the one character should have stayed dead, but otherwise one of the most fun popcorn flicks I've seen in a while. The only JP movie I've added to my collection.

R. Kay

Second Unit
I dont care how much bass you might get ... the movie itself was unwatchable ... I truly want my $8.50 back.

apologize if i'm threadcrapping.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I'd consider the first too far less watchable than JPIII. I never understood why everybody was so crazy about JP.

That was back when films really could be successful based on the FX I guess. I thought the dinos looked cool, but that wasn't enough to make it a decent movie for me.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
i watched JP1 recently and was shocked how soft it looked....i seem to remember also seeing a lot of ntsc artifacting, like a laserdisc transfer would have.
I watched JP1 on my new set-up tonight. I thought it looked good (better than I last remember it), but I agree there is too much artifacting. Most likely this is because of Universal's policy of putting extras on the same disc of the movie.

Shad R

Supporting Actor
I didn't like it either. Just the fact that the kid survived for so long all alone. Yea right. The only really cool part was the t-rex fight with the big dino...can't remember what it was called, but that was cool. The smart raptors reminded me of a joke from a short lived show called THE CRITIC (with john luvitz as the critic.) The joke was a JP sequel, where the raptors were so smart, the used a credit card to unlock the door, and then one of them gave a monologue. JP 3 was horrid! I liked the first one A LOT and the second one wasn't that bad.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
The joke was a JP sequel, where the raptors were so smart, the used a credit card to unlock the door, and then one of them gave a monologue.
"You may have us, but You'll never get off the Island!"

"Actually the other raptors and I have constructed a crude suspension bridge to Venezuela where I shall lie low and work odd jobs under the name Mr. Pilkington"

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I watched JP1 last night, JP3 tonight. Yes, it was pretty bad. But, I really liked the visuals in this movie and the transfer was excellent. Out of order, but I'll have to watch the second movie soon -- though I remember it being the worse. Regarding The Critic, man I need to pick that up sometime. Too funny!

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
Bass is incredible on the T-Rex vs. Spinosaurus scene. When I play it on my HSU VTF-3 MK2 and HSU STF-2, the neighbors come knockin' every single time to ask me to turn it down because their "entire main floor is shaking" :D

Mason Y

Grip
I have the R2 SB JP3 and I consider it to have the best video quality in my collection. As far as audio, the bass is good but I get annoyed at its inconsistency. A dino will run around in one scene with thundering steps, then the same animal, or an even larger one, will run around in another scene and you won't hear or feel any footsteps at all.

greg_t

Screenwriter
I have the Jurassic Park I Japanese superbit and it is clearly superior to the R1 release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks