What's new

Notebook & Wireless Networking Newbie (1 Viewer)

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Couple of questions:

I'm being sent to Atlanta for a month on business in a couple of weeks. The hotel they're putting me up at has hi speed internet access but I know nothing else about the access.

If I bring my notebook, with PC Card, what else will I need to connect? Should I bring RJ-45 cable?

Second, if I wanted to create a wireless network at home between the notebook and desktop, am I correct in understanding all I need is a USB wireless adaptor for the desktop?

The notebook has the PC Card so I guess I'm set there. But do I need a Gateway or Access Point as well to share a cable modem internet connection?

The more I read on this stuff, the more confused I'm getting.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
Most Hotels that offer ethernet service usually have cables available at the desk. I carry an ethernet cable in my laptop bag though. My recommendation would be to bring one to be on the safe side.

For a wireless network at home you would need either a wireless desktop card that would plug in like an ethernet card or a usb wireless adapter. Although a usb adapter would work, I've not heard good things about them. I personally have a wireless card plugged into my desktop.

Once you have your laptop and desktop set up wireless and you have a wireless router, you are good to go for your wireless network at home. You then plug your wireless router into your cable modem. The wireless router will typically have 4 ports so you can also plug into it with a hardwire as well as operate wireless.

It's not difficult to set up but it can be tricky. First get it working, then you can set up things like WEP encryption (usually required by your company if you do work at home on your wireless network) and MAC filtering.

Also knowing that if at first you don't seem to be getting a connection try unplugging the modem and router to reset.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Thanks Bob!

So the router is a must then? That's what had me a little confused I think between talk of gateways and access points. The router would serve as one of those right?

I'll have to go for a USB adapter for the desktop. I have no open slots, so hopefully it will work out well.

Is Belkin ok for these items? Or would it be better to spend a little more on LinkSys or some other brand?

Thanks again for your help Bob!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Carl,

If you have one desktop only, and your notebook is already connected to that desktop through your wireless LAN, you don't need an additional router.

If the desktop runs under Windows XP (or 2000) and has a connection to the Internet already (whatever sort), you can use Internet Connection Sharing. The desktop will serve as your router / Internet Gateway.

Cees

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Well, it didn't work. My internet service runs through a USB connection, not a NIC. Only way this will work is if I change cable modems and connect to my ISP thru a NIC and RJ45 cable....Not worth the hassle.

Thanks for the help anyway!

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
It does have an RJ-45 jack but it stopped working about 6 months ago. I never bothered to replace the modem because the USB cable and jack worked fine.

It's an owned modem, so I need to either buy a new one or speak to my ISP about maybe getting a free one with the service if I want to go back to using RJ-45 cable to set up the wireless network.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Did you buy your cable modem? My ISP provides it as included in the monthly charge. If it's not working properly and the cost is included in your fee then they should replace it for free.

Mike_J_Potter

Second Unit
Carl, my sister travels allot for work and she says most hotels either have the Wireless network info and instructions in the room or at the desk to setup for the wireless access. Some use a user name and password (typically the room number) but its no big deal to configure. Or some just have a network jack in their room to use. I actually did the same thing in my guest room at my house so friends with laptops can use the internet without messing with my pcs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks