Notebook & Surround Sound

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Brad E, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Brad E

Brad E Second Unit

I just bought a Dell Inspiron 9100 notebook today. Can't wait to get it.
    I will be hooking it up to my H/K 7200 via S-video. The problem is with the audio. There is no optical or coax output. The only audio output it has (that I know of) is the headphone output.
    So how do I go about getting a digital audio connection?

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I think you may be surprised. I have a Dell Latitude C800 (about 3 years old). It has a jack on the side that looks like S-Video, but Dell sent a little dongle type thing to plug into that jack that give me an s-video out, a composite video out, and a digital coax audio out. I'm not saying this will necessarily be the same in your case, but I would think there's a good chance.

If it does not come with anything then you could possibly buy an outboard soundcard that connects via firewire or USB2.0.

3. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Creative Labs makes an external USB soundcard. I believe it's called the MP3 Blaster, and retails for $30-40. It will provide you with digital outputs (and inputs).

4. Brad E

Brad E Second Unit

Thanks for the help guys.

Seth, that little dongle type thing. Did it look like this? In the bottom right side of the picture.

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    Brad

5. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Yep, that'd be it. One of the plugs on it should be orange (at least mine is). This is the digital audio out.

Congrats on the new computer.

6. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

I just realized that my new Dell Latitude (very sweet machine, BTW; the Mac-like titanium case is nice [​IMG]) has the same output cable. I'll check this out myself.