Notebook shopping- Athlon 4 or PIII-M?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd Hochard, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I'm thinking of getting a notebook, and I'm wondering which would be the smarter purchase? I've seen a couple of notebooks (Sony), with similar setups. The differences were

1. Athlon 4, 1.2Ghz, 512MB, CD-RW/DVD combo drive, 14.1" SVGA+, +1599 (-$100 mail-in)= $1499

2. PIII-M, 1.0Ghz, 256MB, DVD only, 14.1" SVGA+, $1320

The CD/RW feature is handy, but I don't really need it (I have one in my desktop, which will be wireless networked).

I've solidly been an Intel man over the years, so I don't know much about the Athlon. How's the performance? I've heard they run hot. Will the 1.2 be a significantly larger drain on the battery? I know the PIII-M is built on the 0.13um platform, so power consumption is pretty low.

Any thoughts?

I also noticed a "pretty looking" Fujitsu Lifebook (close in specs, I think) at Best Buy in the $1500 range. Anyone know about those?

Thanks,

Todd

2. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

You could get a Dell 8100 15" screen, 256mb ram, 30Gig HD, DVD for $1534.00 and then you will get an additional 150 dollar rebate. Then if you want the extra Ram you could simply go to www.crucial.com and get the 256mb chip for $104 where Dell would charge you 175+.
    As far as the Fujitsu Laptops.... They look great on the specs for the price, but stay away if you can and go for a more reliable brand such as Dell, IBM, or better yet Toshiba. These brands IMO are better then some of the others.
    KyleS

3. Todd Hochard

We've had Toshibas at work, and they have been terrible. NO Toshiba for me, ever.

I was messing around on the Dell site a few days ago, but couldn't get in around that price. $1500 is about my limit.

Todd

4. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

Honestly, a laptop is a HORRIBLE waste of money. It's worth 3/4 of what you pay for it the 2nd you open up the box, they ARENT as powerful as desktops, and they arent upgradeable. That being said, I would buy a Fujitsu. I had a Fujitsu laptop 5 years ago. It had been underwater because it had previously been on fire, it STILL ran for years after that. That is a HELLUVA tough laptop. On fire, then underwater, still ran GREAT. The HD finally corrupted (Damn Western Digital) but everything else worked smoothly.

5. Todd Hochard

I agree about the value issue, but I must have portability. As such, I don't really have a choice.
    One of the things I want it for is playing DVDs in the car when on the road. My daughter is much happier traveling if she can watch Baby Einstein.[​IMG] A portable DVD player screen is too small for me.

6. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

If you HAVE to get one (Some people wont listen [​IMG] ) Then get a Fujitsu, their customer service is rad. I bought the laptop second hand, and they were willing to split the repair costs 50/50. That might not sound great, but keep in mind a repair for a laptop is basically replacing the entire thing.

7. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Guys,
    I think that everyone has had their own experiences with laptops (brands) with myself we use Toshiba Tecra laptops and they all run like champs. Todd as far as the dell pricing are you choosing a 3 year warranty? If so then that increased the cose over the 1 year. I understand where you guys are coming from and each person will have a bad experience or relate an issue with a company to say " I will never buy from xyz again"
    Our office had some Fujitsu laptops and they just didnt hold up and were just not at the same level IMO as the toshiba laptops.
    And Larry your mad about the Western Digital Hard Drive finally corrupting and all it went through was a fire, water, drying out, and running for years before having problems? DAMN man what do you want this HD to be able to take? [​IMG]
    KyleS