What's new

Notebook Recommendation ~$1,000 (1 Viewer)

Rob Landolfi

Stunt Coordinator
Hey there,

I'm a desktop kind of guy, but am finding that I "need" a notebook computer, and my preferred vendor (ABS PC) doesn't offer notebooks. I'm looking to have an upper limit of around ~$1K. I noticed that the local Best Buy flyer had some pretty good looking setups, but figured I might be able to do better elsewhere. My main PC will be the workhorse (DVD burner, several drives, etc.), and I'm looking for something to wireless network in our home and that I can take with me on business trips to plug in at the hotel (internet, too). Home use will include internet, e-mail, MS Office applications and light DVD viewing. Here's what I'm looking for:

- Can be either AMD or Intel
- DVD ROM drive (may be a combined CD burner if offered as free upgrade)
- looking for 256MB memory, but have seen 512 offered in upper level of this price range
- 15" screen preferred

I'm about a month or two away from purchase, but figured any info I got now would help with vendors/options available. I appreciate any recommendations. Have a good one.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Some of the Dell notebooks would fit that bill. You can get a 5100 for just under $1000 shipped or go for a much lighter Dell 500m for $1100.

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
About a month ago we picked up an AMD 2200+ HP notebook for my wife from Circuit City for under $1000 after rebate. It's not the lightest thing in the world, but what a bargain for the money!?!

Athlon XP 2200+
512 MB DDR
40 GB hard drive
DVD/CD-RW drive
modem
ethernet
802.11b wireless built-in
15" screen

Color me impressed.

Rob Landolfi

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info. I'm finding that retail offerings are relatively reasonable for notebooks; moreso than what I remember finding for desktop configurations I was interested in a few months back. Dell, CC, and Best Buy have some very solid offerings. I'll see if the Father's Day sales have anything to offer as well. Thanks again!

James_A

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a total PC guy myself (got three desktops all puttering away). But I got an iBook from Apple. I've been very impressed with it, and what the capabilites of it were. I think it's near the top of your price range, but I'd defiantly advise at least (if you're near an apple store) checking one out...

Jim

Rob Landolfi

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all,

Thanks for the hints and help. I'll keep my eyes peeled for any deals-of-the-day type bargains. Have a great week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks