Not Your Everyday Skippy Peanut Butter

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Peter Kline, Jun 8, 2003.

1. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

You Get What You Pay for: Peanut Butter With a Pedigree
    By HENRY FOUNTAIN
    New York Times

Tokyo has its Kobe beef, at $1,000 a pound. Paris has its $100-an-ounce white truffles. But for true decadence, you have to go to Gaithersburg, Md., and the headquarters of the National Institute of Standards and Technology. There you'll find what has to be the world's most expensive peanut butter. A small six-ounce jar of the stuff costs more than $140 ($375 per pound).

Complete article (you'll need to register - it's free) here.

2. Sarah Temple

Sarah Temple Agent

isnt peanut butter all really the same. there are only two categories... creamy and chunky... beyond that, i have no reason to ever spend over two dollars on my peanut butter

3. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Peanut butter is not all the same. Some formulas have less fat, added salt, emulsifiers, etc. The article in question explains why this particular jar is more expensive.

Personally, I like Goobers peanut butter and grape jelly on plain saltine crackers.

4. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Nice... I'm going to start asking for a NIST traceability certificate with my peanut butter [​IMG]