What's new

Not using a center channel - or laying one flat? (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
schan1269 said:
Hhhmmm...not you that just bought some RTi6?
Nope. That would be me! :biggrin:

You actually made that same mistake once before, after my thread about buying the Denon AVR-X2000. You told someone else they should contact DaveF about making a similar purchase! I didn't say anything at the time, because I still haven't even cracked open the Denon box yet (Christmas present) so I don't have any answers...

No harm, no foul.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
Awesome, Guy! Congrats.

I tell ya. One of the most important HT purchases is the rack/cabinet. It has a big impact on future hardware purchases.

My wife and I spent a lot of time together trying to figure out what would best suit my equipment needs and her aesthetic needs. What we came up with is in the photo above behind the PB-1000 and the dogs. My old center channel speaker is partially obscured behind the spaniel (just to the right of the receiver). It consists of four similar-sized openings with glass doors (that slide out and drop down from above).

We spent a lot of money on that thing...and had it shipped from Illinois, I think.

Lucky for me, each opening is 25" wide. Perfect for the CSi5! :biggrin:
Here's a shot of that cabinet from the front (you'll note the CSi5 with a half-inch of room to spare on either side).

gallery_286742_34_203106.jpg

And the dog nestled in for a long winter's nap in it's shadow:

gallery_286742_34_76725.jpg

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
Got my delivery yesterday!

RTi8s and CSi5. I'm really liking the difference between the Monitor and RTi lines.

The 8s sound more relaxed to me... like they're not trying as hard. Much easier to listen to at higher db.

The CSi5 is massive! I had to remove the top of the fireplace unit in order to get it in.

Next upgrade - Rears to RTi6
Next... next upgrade - Rythmik LV12R or SVS PB-1000

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
erew99 said:
Got my delivery yesterday!RTi8s and CSi5. I'm really liking the difference between the Monitor and RTi lines.The 8s sound more relaxed to me... like they're not trying as hard. Much easier to listen to at higher db.The CSi5 is massive! I had to remove the top of the fireplace unit in order to get it in.Next upgrade - Rears to RTi6Next... next upgrade - Rythmik LV12R or SVS PB-1000
And those RTi, you'll be happy to have them the next 15-20 years...My longest tenured speaker are my BIC V. Going on 23 years now.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Ebony or Cherry? Say Ebony...please! (sorry Mike).

My longest tenured speakers were Swan Diva's. 6 years maybe? Sold them just to get something different. But my MB Quart Vera's are a keeper. Partly because I had to buy three center speakers for the front soundstage, in maple, and the bookshelf surrounds are in cherry. Might be a bit difficult to sell in that configuration.

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
gene c said:

My longest tenured speakers were Swan Diva's. 6 years maybe? Sold them just to get something different. But my MB Quart Vera's are a keeper. Partly because I had to buy three center speakers for the front soundstage, in maple, and the bookshelf surrounds are in cherry. Might be a bit difficult to sell in that configuration.
Yes- Ebony. All my other furniture is dark wood/espresso... so it was the natural choice.

I'm hoping to keep these for a while. I was never really happy with the Monitor line.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I expect we'll see, in the coming 9-18 months..."I bought Pio AJ/Infinity Primus cause they were a great deal...what else is there..."I was lucky growing up that I had house full of records and multiple rooms with stereos. My father was into Quadraphonic and had the hanging globe Technics speakers(which were supposedly Marantz design). That system rocked.We had some Wharfedale, VOT and EV in the house.Needless to say...I knew how to buy speakers before I ever had a job. Those Technics globes were in use till 85...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
gene c said:
erew99 said:
Yes- Ebony. All my other furniture is dark wood/espresso... so it was the natural choice.
Hah!

As you can see Gene (and Guy) from the pix I posted above...everything in my house is woodtone in color (even the dogs!). The black R30 towers I was using never did fit in.

Tomato/to-mah-to. :biggrin:

In fact, I'm thinking of replacing the black R15s I'm still using for my surrounds with a pair of RTi4s for aesthetic reasons (and considering the improved sonics as a bonus!) :laugh:

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
"I bought Pio AJ/Infinity Primus cause they were a great deal...what else is there..."

They sale prices on Amazon/Fry's has all but killed the re-sale value on all this entry-level stuff. Turned them into garage sale and fleamarket fodder.

"Hah!

As you can see Gene (and Guy) from the pix I posted above...everything in my house is woodtone in color (even the dogs!). The black R30 towers I was using never did fit in.

Tomato/to-mah-to. :biggrin:

In fact, I'm thinking of replacing the black R15s I'm still using for my surrounds with a pair of RTi4s for aesthetic reasons (and considering the improved sonics as a bonus!)" :laugh:

O.K., you're forgiven :P,.

I remeber thinking the RTi4's were the best of the RTi's I owned. But I don't remember why :wacko: .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks