Not to bash SCI-FI Channel but...

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by SpenceJT, Nov 28, 2003.

1. SpenceJT

SpenceJT Second Unit

Jeff Spencer
    I'd like to say it isn't so, but right now, 8:00 p.m. (CST) Friday November 28th, SCI-FI Channel is playing "Apollo 13"!?

WTF!!! [​IMG]

I'd like to know who's moronic little mind puts a very VERY "non-fiction" acadamy award nominated movie on a channel devoted to science FICTION!!! [​IMG]

2. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    It's not Sci-Fi, but much of science fiction involves space travel. I could call Apollo 13 a drama, but I really don't have a problem with the sci-fi channel showing this movie. It certainly fits in better than Braveheart which they where showing last year.

3. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Have you seen the ads for the new movie Timeline? One of the blurbs is it's "Braveheart with a 21st century twist!" I haven't seen the movie, but I've read the book, and unless they've totally changed it, that's a monumentally stupid thing to say. "Hmm, it's got swords, plus time travel." It would definitely fit on the Sci-Fi Channel, though.

//Ken

4. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    Sci fi channel stopped being about Sci Fi a long time ago, didnt you hear??
    You've opened a big can of worms for a lot of people.
    There idea of Sci Fi is Tremors or that show with the psychic.

Hey, they even turned down a show by the creator of Babylon 5 because it was "Too Sceincefitiony."

The credibility of this channel has been gone for quite a while now and I dont think it's coming back anytime soon.

Next up a Stargate spinoff (yea) and the "Re-imagining" of Battllestar Galactica.

Cant wait.

5. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

The did the dream readers; and of course, John what's his face psychic every night, and they do lots of things that aren't sci-fi.

But that for me (at least) is sometimes OK. I was glad when they picked up MST3k, which isn't always sci-fi. And I was glad when they considered persuing "Battle Bots"

Science Fiction is sometimes more then just the media itself, it is also what inspires it. I had no problem with Apollo13. A lot of what inspires great SF writing is the existance of actual science [​IMG]

6. WillG

WillG Producer

7. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    Brian Lawrence wrote (post #2):

8. Ashley Seymour

Ashley Seymour Supporting Actor

9. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

10. WillG

WillG Producer

11. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Maybe Sci-Fi should consider doing what TNN did and change their name. I nominate "Schlock!"

12. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

How about "Sigh-Fi"?

13. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

What I don't understand is why Sci-Fi hasn't gotten on the anime bandwagon. There's plenty of sci-fi anime out there and with it's ever-growing popularity I have to think it would do at least as well as the drek they show.

14. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    While I agree that the quality of the channel's programming has dipped a little recently (Taken and Children of Dune notwithstanding), it was always meant to carry fantasy and horror programming as well as science fiction. There is often an overlap between those genres, which is why they're often grouped together, and why the channel has always shown programs from all of them.

Apollo 13 is most definitely not sci-fi, but at least it is science-related. A Tremors series may have been an unimaginably bad idea, but it didn't break the genre rule. Scare Tactics threw me when I first heard about it (a sort-of reality show on SciFi?), but I guess it could be considered horror-related. The thing with "Crossing Over" and the like is kind of funny, because even though I guess it could be considered fantasy-related, wouldn't that counter-act the idea that it's supposed to be real? I dunno. I guess the fact that it deals with the supernatural makes it borderline.

Anyway, I agree that SciFi could use some new ideas, but I don't think it has deviated all that much from what they were originally created to do, which was to show sci-fi, fantasy, and horror programming (except for Braveheart [​IMG] ). However, I would prefer a little more real science fiction.

EDIT-in response to Todd's post
    They actually have showed some anime in the past. Not really any series, but quite a few movies, sometimes late-night or early-morning. And for a couple of years, they had an "Anime Week" during the summer. I know, not much, but it was nice to see some of it. They could do that again; maybe get the rights to some series that Cartoon Network hasn't snapped up yet. And they could show a lot of them relatively uncut.

15. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Actually, I appreciate Sci-Fi not going Anime. As someone who really doesn't like it, in general (the series, movies are alright) letting everyone else do it is just fine with me.

16. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    Though not Sci Fi, Apollo 13 has to deal with Space and flying so if you really had to stretch the meaning you could but Bravheart and Scare Tactics dont fit into the Sci Fi catagory or anywhere near it.

17. WarrenBD

WarrenBD Auditioning

Warren
    [rant]The Sci-Fi Channel has their heads up their exhausts![/rant]

I couldn't agree more with the criticism in this thread.

It's arguable (I know sundry will) that the medium of Science Fiction, along with its brethren of Fantasy and Horror, is THE most popular and encompassing entertainment genre in the world. Its audience deserves more than the drek its currently being dealt by the duds at Sci-Fi.

And could they puh-leeeeze tone down their screen logo! [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. David Rogers

David Rogers Supporting Actor

19. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    Maybe we shoudl print out the thread and send it to Bonnie.

20. Sean Campbell

Sean Campbell Second Unit