What's new

Not sure which now (1 Viewer)

Ok I decide on the Athena Point 5 with a SVS sub. Reminder that this will be in a 18x15 room and replacing BOSE. Now I have reccomedations of going to Crutchfield ans going with a more "reliable" brand such as Polk, and Infinity. There all on sale as we speak. I really have my heart set on the Athenas but no I am doubting myself. I need a systems for movies and music. Not a cheap HTIB but nothing over $700-800 for eveything. I now I can get an outstanding HT if I buy seperate but I would like to just get them speakers all in one shot and not regret it. You can do a search if your interested in my ost in the past week about opinions. I hate whn I doubt myself. Again, Thanks

Dave

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Well, I don't know that Polk is a more "reliable" brand. Inifinity has had a few products in the past get to market with a rep for poor quality control. Athena is part Audio Products International which includes Energy and Mirage in addition to Athena. They've been making reputable speakers for quite a while. Doesn't Best Buy allow returns, for you to try them in your home?

If you decide on the Polks or Infinitys you can find better prices than Crutchfield.

So, get out and listen to them and decide for yourself.

I assume that you're not afaid of the net direct model since you are getting a SVS. I'd suggest checking out Axiom(axiomaudio.com), Ascend Acoustics(ascendacoustics.com) and, Rockets' ELTs(av123.com or audioc.com). All offer great values in your price range

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
Here's my assessment - I'm completely with Chris on this one. Athena would definitely be a step up above Polk and Infinity ( although they both have nicer stuff in their high end - but most people that purchase these brands are going consumer grade only )

The only rationale for someone to go Polk would be through a Fry's or Circuit City Polk RTi closeout deal. Other than that - the Athenas outclass the other two.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Okay, I looked at the Point 5 system. Do you mean $800 including a SVS? I have concerns with the Point 5 in a room that large. I also question mating that much sub with those speakers. Have you thought of reallocating your budget for a more balanced set-up or waiting a little while to save up a little more?

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Good sub. I've read a little on the Athenas and they seem to be a good deal at that price point. I wouldn't worry about their reliability.

Have you looked into Hsu's Ventriloquist line?

Another idea is RAD Micros Link Removed
But they likely bust your budget.

Chris i did lok into the Ven's but I like the idea of my sat's having a 4 woofer by themsleves. The Ven's only have dual 4x6 woofers in the center, ........just seems that the Athena will better serve my purpose for playing music.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks