Not sure where this belongs, Im looking for a remote.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ottis Fletcher, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Ottis Fletcher

Ottis Fletcher Stunt Coordinator

I want to get a nice universal remote with in a couple months (I have to pay off some of my credit card bills first). I was looking at this one. I have 7 remotes, I know its not that many but its kind of a hassle at times. I don't want to spend over $300, I like the LCD touch screen that are back lit. Any suggestions?

Equipment list
    Motorola Cable box
    Sony DVD player
    Sony TV
    Sony SACD/DVD-A player
    Pioneer home theater
    JVC VCR
    Xbox (I just use it for the jukebox function)

Near future equipment list.
    Satellite Dish
    HDTivo (when it comes out)
    Set top box (maybe)

2. John Swarce

John Swarce Second Unit

Ottis:

Try taking a look at Remote Central. A wealth of information about remotes!

I am partial to the Home Theater Master MX-500 (combo hard button/LCD remote), but you may choose the Sony over that one. Just remember that with touch screen remotes, you have to look at the remote to operate it. Hard button remotes can be operated (almost) with a blindfold on. Of course, that makes it very difficult to watch the movie also! [​IMG]

Good luck remote hunting!

3. Ottis Fletcher

Ottis Fletcher Stunt Coordinator

Great site thanks for the link. I know what you mean by being able to operate remotes with raised buttons in the dark, I do that now with mine. I heard the Chameleon from Radio Shack is very good remote for $60.

4. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

My problem so far with 'universal remotes' is the ones I've been exposed to, (mainly the 'universal remote' that came with my Pioneer RPTV and also with my Digital Cable Box), is that they do not do all the functions of the specific remote, so you still need the remote that came with a piece of equip.

For example, my JVC VCR I can do most of the normal functions with either universal remote, but not program for recordings. Also, my Pioneer DVD player, again I can do most of the normal functions with either universal remote, but I cannot go into the DVD Setup menus and I cannot turn on/off the Display (which tells how much time has elapsed and hom much time is left), I can also not switch subtitles on/off, etc.

5. TimHON

TimHON Agent

I have to agree with the earlier post about the mx-500. For a little more than $100 bucks you can get a remote that combines both great functionality and ease of programming. The only thing I don't like about it is the manual which I don't think is very well written. But by using tips easily found on the remotecentral forums I now can control all six components in my home theater very easily. Even my wife agrees it is probably one of the best "gadgets" I have ever purchased.

6. DaveLenhert

DaveLenhert Stunt Coordinator

I'll 3rd the recommendation of the HomeTheaterMaster MX-500, especially given your price limit. A few weeks ago I bit the bullet and purchased its big brother, the MX-700. I LOVE this remote!! Since my Pre/Pro remote (Acurus ACT-3) doesn't have leaning capability, I needed to get a learning remote. I was looking at the getting a Pronto 3000, since it is VERY customizable and COOL! [​IMG] However, I liked the tactile feel of a hard button remote and I often use it in the dark so I don't want to be always fumbling around LCD pages. So I ended up getting the MX-700. The key benefit of the MX-700 over the MX-500 is the programming via a computer. I have reprogrammed the remote 3 or 4 times to make the layout easiest for my usage habits & hand size. Before someone points out that the MX-500 is also programmable via a computer (IR-Clone), I felt the MX Editor software was a much cleaner and easier solution. The only Complaint about the MX-700 is the lack of a FF/REW and a Chapter skip next to the 5-position button.

Cheers

7. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

With the MX-500, besides having all the pre-labeled hard buttons to use, you get another 20 LCD-labeled buttons per device (40 with an MX-700). This allows you to add the secondary and more obscure functions from your original remotes, properly labeled. This will generally handle all of the original remote's buttons, with the exception of some receivers that have a very large number of buttons on the original remote. Even then, many people who don't use all 10 available devices will assign one just to handle functions like soundfields etc.

8. TylerZ

TylerZ Stunt Coordinator

And yet another vote for the MX-500. It's pretty easy to program/configure to meet your individual needs. For the price I think it's hard to beat. Got mine from www.bluedo.com .

9. Todd Durham

Todd Durham Agent

Have had an MX-500 for a yeqar now and love it. It has a pretty good list of pre-programmed codes and for what it doesnt have you can learn any command from your original remote. I can find no faults with this remote.