Not sure what Jazz (SACD) to buy!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MattCPT, Jan 11, 2003.

1. MattCPT

MattCPT Stunt Coordinator

I hope people read this thread, but I'm not so sure they will after seeing the excitement about the Police, Dylan and Pink Floyd news. I don't blame them if they don't I'm excited as well [​IMG] .
    On to my question. I have only recently begun to appreciate jazz music. I had always thought of it as being to "mellow" for my taste. Since purchasing my SACD player I've had the chance to listen to the samplers that Sony included and found that I enjoyed the sound of Spyro Grya and Miles Davis. I then bought Spyro Grya - In Modern Times and Miles Davis - Kind of Blue. After growing to like these albums I gave the Dave Brubeck - Time Out a chance and found that I love this album. I have listened to samples of other jazz artists including Diana Krall and Pat Metheny but haven't found their music to be as enjoyable, because it just seems to "mellow" to me. I may change my feelings as time goes on but for now I find myself trying to like them to take advantage of the sound of SACD, and I've made the mistake of buying SACDs that I don't love the music of before. I do however love the fast tempo/beat that many of Dave Brubeck's songs have on Time Out.
    What other jazz albums on SACD (preferably multichannel) have this kind of (for lack of better word) toe-tapping tempo/beat? They could include other SACD albums by one of the 3 jazz artists that I mentioned.
    I thank anyone in advance that can help me.

2. Ian Lascell

Ian Lascell Agent

Well, you can't go wrong with Coltrane's "A Love Supreme." It is only in stereo, but i feel they did a nice job with it. Herbie Hancock's "Headhunters" is in multichannel and of course is another classic whatever format it is in. Two that I don't have but I'm sure would be great are Sonny Rollins "Saxophone Colossus" and "Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section." I'm not sure if those last two feature multichannel mixes. I agree with you that "Time Out" and especially "Kind of Blue" sound wonderful.

3. Ian Lascell

Ian Lascell Agent

Oh yeah, I forgot that Miles Davis has quite a few SACDs available. "Round About Midnight" and "In A Silent Way" are available. Also "Bitches Brew" is available as an import from Japan. "Miles Smiles" is on SACD, although not considered to be one of Davis' classics. Some of the Gil Evans stuff is out there as well some live concert recordings. Miles was so diverse over his career, it is hard to recommend all of his recordings based on liking one of them. But "Round About Midnight" should be good to you if you like "Kind of Bllue." Just keep in mind there is very little music recorded by anybody that is at the same level as "Kind of Blue" in my opinion.

4. Lin Park

Lin Park Second Unit

Do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of Jazz at the Pawnshop as soon as you can. It's a 2-disc set and I picked mine up at www.acousticsounds.com. Many claim it to be the best jazz recording ever made and who am I to argue with them. Your whole body'll be tapping to this one.
    It's multi-channel and hybrid as well so you can enjoy it no matter what your equipment is.
    Lin

5. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I second the Jazz at the Pawnshop disk. Very pricey at $60 for two discs (and I have searched and searched for a lower price, trust me), but still worth every penny.

6. PaulHeroy

PaulHeroy Stunt Coordinator

Sorry I don't have any specific SACD recommendations to make, as I haven't taken the plunge yet so don't really know what's available on the format. But if you're just getting into jazz, you've got a whole world of great music to discover -- and it's a lifetime journey. If you're not familiar with the AllMusic website, well, you should be... check out www.allmusic.com . It's not perfect by any means but it's an indispensable resource for looking up info on musicians and getting ideas for similar or related musicians.
    Ok, I found a list here , I'm sure it's not complete but I can definitely recommend the following:
    Mingus - Ah Um
    Ellington - Blues In Orbit
    Herbie Hancock - Headhunters (fusion)
    Louis Armstrong - Plays WC Handy
    Miles - several including Round About Midnight, Four and More, Tribute to Jack Johnson (fusion, many think even better than Bitches Brew)
    Thelonious Monk - Straight No Chaser
    Weather Report - Heavy Weather

7. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    If you like the Brazilian sound try Ana Caram's BLUE BOSSA and Manfredo Fest's JUST JOBIM. The Anthony Wilson Trio's OUR GANG get's a toe-tapping nomination from me. Christy Baron's Chesky album takes rock songs lke SPOOKY and SHE'S NOT THERE and jazzes them up. Best wishes!

8. MattCPT

MattCPT Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm looking to get some of those selections. Since I posted this I've read other posts that suggested listening to Cd's' from the local library. I can't believe that I forgot about this option, I used to listen to a lot of Cd's' when I lived in MA but since I moved to Florida I haven't spent much time in the library (I get most of my information from the Internet). I hope that the library has a lot of Jazz because I'm excited about the prospect of hearing your suggestions. Keep them coming[​IMG] .
    Are any of Dave Brubeck's other works as "lively" as Time Out?

9. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I have to recommend one of my works: McCoy Tyner New York Reunion on Chesky. Good sonics! [​IMG]
    Also I like any of the APO jazz issues, particularly Saxophone Colossus by Sonny Rollins.
    If you can find Blues in Orbit get it. Also look for Charles Mingus Ah Um.
    One upcoming title to look for is the Blue Note release by Norah Jones.
    Happy Hunting! [​IMG]

10. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

The McCoy Tyner is fantastic, and, one or two brief moments aside, definitely not "too mellow"!

My initial recommendation would have been Miles Davis "In A Silent Way", but I fear that might fall within the "too mellow" category. So, I'd also recommend "Round About Midnight", an album I love nearly as much as "Kind of Blue". It has one of my alltime favorite versions of "Round Midnight", along with the amazing "Dear Old Stockholm" and a couple of great pop standards "Bye Bye Blackbird" and "All of Me". Plus more! (Including some hard-bop type stuff.)

Also, John Coltrane "A Love Supreme". They don't have the master-reel for this one, but it sounds plenty fine on SACD (but not as good as the Miles catalog, generally).

Also, Mingus' "Mingus Ah Um". Another classic, and definitely not "too mellow"!

11. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I would definitely second the nominations for Herbie Hancock's "Headhunters" and Mingus' "Ah Um". Drifting off topic a little, there is a DTS CD of Dave Grusin's Jazz arrangements of music from West Side Story that is very well recorded for surround sound. It swings pretty well, its only weakness being that for the few songs that have vocals, they chose vocalists without really strong Jazz chops.

Regards,

12. Greg Johnson

Greg Johnson Stunt Coordinator

I'll add Bob Mintzer's Big Band: Homage TO Count Basie. Mostly up tempo with excellent sonics. Multichannel as well.

Greg

13. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Thelonious Monk: Monk By 5 By Monk, on Analogue Productions

McCoy Tyner, Al Foster, Stanley Clarke on Telarc

14. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Second Unit

How about Ray Brown, Monty Alexander and Russell Malone[Diana Krall's original guitarist - Telarc mult hybrid

Or The Very Tall Band - Oscar Peterson, Ray Brown and Milt Jackson Telarc Stereo

The Anthony Wilson trio - our gang Krall's current guitarist at least on her live album.