What's new

not sure what info to look for on video cards (1 Viewer)

Simon B

Auditioning
hi guys

looking to finally upgrade the rubbish that has been residing in my computer, it is no longer able to keep up.

have been looking around at some other posts, but still not sure, i guess everybody is different when it comes to the things they need video cards for.

the games i play are : need for speed underground, fifa 2005, and colin mcrae rally 3. will get more racing games and generally sport games when i get my new card

i would like to get a card with hdmi/dvi out so when i finally get a digital tv i can connect it to it.

i currently have a intel on board 64mb card.

any recommendation will be really appreciated

nearly forgot my budget, is around R1000 ($200-250)

thanks

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Hey Simon, do you know what speed your current CPU (processor) is ? That might help you decide what you should get.

I know the Nvidia 6600 GT is a very nice card for you budget.

ATI has a 9800Pro that is in your price range. That On board 64MB is pretty much toast when you are dealing with newer games.

Go to Nvidia.com or even www.hardocp.com. Hardocp gives you a bunch of advice at their forums.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Anandtech.Com is also a good resource.

Right now, for your $, the 6600GT is the best bang/dollar.

Simon B

Auditioning
hi chris

i have a 2.4ghz pentium 4 if that helps. will check up on that nvidia 6600

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Do you know what chipset the motherboard is? What video card are you upgrading from? My bet/hunch is that the 6600GT is easily the best bang/buck on an AGP system, and the other cards that would do what you want (ATI X800; 6800 Series) are too much $ for your budget (more then that, if you were to spend that kind of money, I'd tell you to split it, upgrade the CPU & get a 6600GT anyway :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks