Not sure if this belongs here ( avia question)

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Steve.G, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Steve.G

Steve.G Agent

Sorry if this is the wrong forum to be asking this.

I just re-calibrated using avia, thing is the picture looks sweet when watching DVD. But i noticed when watching cable TV ( i have IO, optimum digital cable hooked up with s-video) using the same settings for the dvd player, which is the movie setting on my Sony TV, the picture looks washed out and blurry. Could it be cause i'm using component cables for the dvd player and s-video for the cable box? could that be why there is such a huge difference in terms of picture quality? or is it normal?

would i just be better off keeping the color and hue settings that i have for my dvd player and just eyeballing the sharpness, Picture and brightness for the cable box? any help would be appreciated.

2. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

Yes, and yes. Things like color are handled completely differently in the component realm than they are in s-video, in which the color signal is still composite, only the b&W part of the signal is isloated. Does your cable box not have component outputs? Or does your TV only have one component input? (I can't think of any other reasons to use s-video instead.)

If your can connect the cable box using component, do so. Everything will probably look fine with the same values you use for the DVD player.

If component is not an option for the cable box, what you'll need to do is connect the DVD player to the S-video input and run Avia again to calibrate it to the proper values for that input and connection type. Then reconnect your cable box.

I connected my main DVD player to every individual input on my set (even the multiple component inputs) and ran Avia on each of them to ensure that they were all calibrated and to account for any quirks of problems with any of them.

Regards,

Joe

P.S.

The trick is to realize that when you run a calibration you are calibrating how the TV displays the signal coming in from a given device. You are not calibrating the source device. So when you use Avia you aren't calibrating your DVD player, or even calibrating your TV "in general". You are calibrating "Component Input 1" or "S-Video Input 2". Once you've used a DVD to calibrate a given input you can connect a cable box, a satellite receiver or other device and they should produce approximately the same picture unless the new device, the DVD player or both had image-adjustments of their own. (I turn all of these device processing settings off.) You may still need to tweak by eye a bit due to differences in the devices, but you'll start off much closer to the broadcast standard if you calibrate each input with a DVD.

Your other option is to follow one of the calibration programs that periodically run on HD networks like INHD and HDNet. I recorded the one from INHD and run that against the two TVs I have that are connected to HD-DVRs from time to time.

3. Steve.G

Steve.G Agent

Thanks for the help Joe. But no, My cable box only has S-video. why? i have no clue! It's made by Sony But it's actually a few years old and i should check with my cable provider to see if they have ones with component.

Also i have another question, is there ANYTHING to put on cables to make them go on easier? Like a type of oil or something? For some reason one of my component cables will NOT fit in my dvd player all the way, and i felt like i was about to break the input trying to force it in! every other one plugs in perfectly tho, but this one is being a pain!

4. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

No, oil in particular would probably interfere with the signal. The jacks and cables are standard size, and there is no reason who you should need to "force" any of them. I'd suggest just buying a new component cable. If you're using the one that came wth the DVD player, chances are it is one of the cheapest available and, as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. Unless there is some kind of obstruction in the RCA jack on the player itself (turn the player off and try seeing if the other wires will fit in it, and if the "problem" wire will fit in the other jacks) you probably just have a defective cable. A "better-than-what's-in-the-box" cable should cost very much. There's no need to spend 100 dollars or even 30 or 40 to get a perfectly acceptable cable that will fit well and work fine.

Oh, and by all means contact your cable company about an upgraded box. You never know what new stuff they may have available.

When I switched to HD service I naturally had to replace my standard def cable box with an HD model, and found that it was only about $5 a month more to get an HD-DVR, so that's what I did. It isn't a match for my old SD TiVO in terms of features, but it is really cool being able to record programs in HD.

Regards,

Joe

5. Steve.G

Steve.G Agent

The cable is acoustic research component, And yea, all the other cables fit in perfectly but this one is just wayyy too tight for some reason. I mean i got it in now, but it was a pain in the arse! I don't think i broke anything forcing it so all is well. LOL it's just going to be pain when the time comes for me to unplug it. By then i'll probably just throw the dvd player away with the cable still plugged in [​IMG]

Thanks again for help Joe. I'm going to find out about new cable box models when i get home from work. Like you said, they probably charge 5 bucks more a month for the higher end models if they have them.