Not sure exactly whats needed.. Help me out

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by EriCCirE, Aug 19, 2003.

1. EriCCirE

EriCCirE Extra

Hey guys. I just bought a 5.1 sound system (logitech z640) and it doesn't support digital sound. It has 3 headphone inputs (rear, front, and center)
    So my question is, what would I need to buy to have something convert the digital out (from dvd players and such) to rca, or headphone out.

Thank you, I know its confusing but bare with me.

Eric

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I’m not sure what you’re asking here, Eric. The Logitec is a 5.1 speaker system, not a “sound system” (which generally refers to speakers, amps, something to play a program source, etc.). Why would a 5.1 speaker system “not support digital sound?”

Not to mention, your post start off talking about “headphone inputs” then switches to “headphone outs.” Which is it you’re looking for answers on?

That said, unless I misunderstand the question (highly possible): To convert a DVD player’s digital output to RCA outs you will need a home theater receiver with pre-outs on all channels. Most receivers will have a headphone jack, but it will be two-channel (stereo) sound only.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. EriCCirE

EriCCirE Extra

Ok, there was a total misunderstanding.

lets put it this way. The speakers have 5 different inputs (1 for each speaker) What would I need to get that converts digital output to the 5 different rca outs?

4. Matt`G

Matt`G Agent

I'm also not sure if I understand what you want either, nor if I know how you can get it ... are you looking to hook these speakers up to a DVD player and have DD5.1 output to the speakers? One of my roommates did this last year with his Klipsch Promedia 5.1 speakers. I'm going to answer this based on how he did this with the Klipsch's, so please correct me if I have any of this wrong (I've only seen the z640's in the store, so I'm guessing at a lot of the setup).

If this is the case, here is my quick synopsis of what you have. The Logitech Z640 is a packaged speaker system meant mainly for computer output, with all of the speakers amplified from an internal amplifier in the subwoofer cabinet. This works great for computer output, because your soundcard needs amplified speakers.

The problem, however, for running this with home theater recievers is that you would need to get a receiver that will decode the DD5.1, and then output preamped to the front channel, the rear channel, center, and sub. These all go into the subwoofer cabinet where they are amplified and outputted to the speakers. I'm not exactly sure if this would work, but this is how it would make sense to me. =)

The way my roommate got his working was by buying a small box Klipsch makes to do just that with the Promedia series. It's called the Promedia DD-5.1, and can be found on Klipsch's web site under the Promedia line of products. This took optical-in from the DVD player, did the DD5.1 / DTS decoding, and then outputted it to the correct output. As I said, Klipsch made it for the purpose of making it easier for someone to hook their Promedia series up to a DVD player.

Does anyone know if Logitech makes a similar product for their speakers, or even if the Logitech speakers would work correctly when hooked up to the Klipsch decoder? Just some ideas...

5. EriCCirE

EriCCirE Extra

Matt you are correct with the sub amp stuff. would it matter if i got the Promedia DD-5.1 or would it even work wiht my speakers?

6. Matt`G

Matt`G Agent

Eric - That's a good question. I wish I had a definite answer, but I don't. Klipsch doesn't really advertise using their DD 5.1 with other speaker sets, but since the speakers should hook up the same way, I would think that you would not have a problem using the DD5.1 box with your speakers. If it works, I'd recommend getting it instead of a receiver.

I'd try to contact Klipsch and see if they will tell you if the DD-5.1 is compatible with other 5.1 computer speakers. If you can find a store that carries them, you could check there as well. Good luck, and make sure to post what you find!