Not so good review on 555es @ Audiorevolution.com

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by anthony_b, Nov 2, 2002.

1. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

First of all, everyone has their opinion. I don't expect every person in the world to like the 'C555ES. Secondly, and I don't want to overly invoke a conspiracy theory here, audiorevolution.com has always shown more of an interest in DVD-Audio than SACD. Perhaps a bias towards DVD-Audio contributed to the negative review. Maybe, maybe not. Regardless, here are a few comments that bothered me:

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I don't question the reviewer's objectivity! The review is nothing but a hack job and not even a clever one at that. It's a poison pen review!

4. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Just like any other profession, there are good, bad and average people who hold jobs. The moral of story is listen for yourself, anyone can have an opinion. I've been in a reviewer's house who happened to live next door to a customer who bought a (very nice) system I helped my friend install. My friend had to go back and re-hook-up the sub after this reviewer moved it behind the listening area and hooked it up wrong. I've also been in a store more than once with this same reviewer and all I can say is I'm glad he is a reviewer and not a brain surgeon. I'd be a little worried about the patients.

5. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

I had no previous inkling that Audio Revolution might be biased towards DVD Audio, but it was easy to see it in this review. Why compare CD playback to a transport et al that costs many times as much instead of to comparably priced components (and he didn't even get the current retail price correct), unless one has an agenda.

Also, on the one hand he's faulting the CD audio quality relative to expensive gear and on the other hand he's faulting the unit because it's not mainstream (DVD-Video). Guess he thinks both should be available, so how come he's not bashing his $6K transport for being out of the mainstream, much less acknowledge that other Sony players have DVD-V and SACD, as mentioned above?

As for value, to amplify what Keith said, whatever his definition of value is with respect to universal players, he hasn't heard any SACD players before, so he's got no basis to evaluate the value of these players other than cost (which again he screwed up because he's using an out-of-date retail price for the 'C555ES).

The link did not make it to bookmark status in my browser.

Doug

6. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I also just read that review and noticed the DVDA bias. The quote about the price of the player was the first thing I noticed that was wrong.
    I also agree the reviewer acted like Sony doesn't make DVD/SACD players if this is what the reviewer prefers.

My only concern is the noise the reveiwer hears under the vocals on that Journey SACD. Does anyone else hear that with their 555ES?

7. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

I agree completely with your assessment of this white-wash Keith. You always eventually run across a review which obviously doesn't reflect the experience of owners and other reviewers. For example, a British publication has lashed out at the audio performance on the Denon 1600 which everyone here who owns one as found superb for the money, meaning, it will not match a Toshiba 9200, Denon 3800 or 9000, but it does a good job for the money. The reviewer cited jitter as the culprit, but does he really expect the 1600 to be jitter-free especially since its chasis is based on a two-year old budget DVD player? I have been told that this is one of the reasons why Denon uses aluminum face plates, but I guess the reviewer forgot that the 1600 is not a dedicated CD player for crying out loud. Despite the gripes, he then gave it 3 out of 5 for audio performance. Uhm, I now wonder what audio revolution would think of the cheaper SCD-C222es[​IMG]
    Reg

8. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

9. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

[sarcasm on]This $600 player does not sound as good as a $6,000 player?! I can't believe it! [​IMG] I'm sending mine back for a refund right now. [​IMG] So, can anyone out there recommend another $600 CD player that will perform as well as the reviewer's Proceed? [/sarcasm off]
    [​IMG]

10. Ron Newsome

Ron Newsome Stunt Coordinator

11. Mike_Ch

Mike_Ch Stunt Coordinator

This is why you should never trust reviews, rather, use your own ears. And as for SCD-C777ES? Don't they have an editor? Or were they all smoking the good stuff?

Cheers,
    Mike

12. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

13. Piers C

Piers C Stunt Coordinator

Keith,

Excellent post/critique - right on point (as usual).

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Piers,
    Thanks. If only I had to influence to really take this individual to task. [​IMG]
    All,
    I have both the Journey Escape and Greatest Hits SACDs, and I have to agree with Evan's assessment. These are not discs that best illustrate SACD's capabilities. However, I do have the remastered CDs of both titles, and the SACDs are noticeably smoother in the vocals. There is still a glassy edge to Steve Perry's vocals on "Who's Crying Now" and other songs, but it is noticeably worse on the CDs.

15. Glenn Marshall

Here's the icing for the cake! Same issue of A.R. was a 7 page review on the Marantz DV-12S1 DVD-V/A. Nice review.
    Just finished checking out some end-user reviews on other
    sites. It's been discontinued. Replaced by their new DV-sa-12S1, which has DVD-V/A/SACD. Don't need the SACD. I
    also am a c555es owner.

I'm still looking for a replacement for the Denon 3800 I have canceled. Any suggestions.

Glenn

16. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Glenn, I saw the audiorevolution.com review of the DV-12S1. Too bad they didn't compare it to the Proceed/Mark Levinson CD set-up. The reviewer probably would have preferred the Marantz unit. [​IMG]

17. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

I just read the article but I couldn't find any reference to a SCD-C777ES player, but rather to an SCD-XA777ES at all the afformentioned sentences.
    They must have fixed that?

18. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lewis, yup, they fixed it. "SCD-C777ES" was replaced with "SCD-XA-777ES".

19. David Berry

David Berry Stunt Coordinator

20. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

David, I'm sorry I let you down. I, in turn, am disappointed that Sony let me down. [​IMG]