Not 'Safe' from subtitles

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bjorn Thoresen, Sep 8, 2001.

1. Bjorn Thoresen

Todd Haynes "Safe," whatever you may think of it, is a pretty subtle movie -- even if Haynes does explicity state what he wants it to mean in the insert booklet of the new DVD.
    But the DVD release of this film features one really distracting instance of forced subtitles -- Carol, the main character, walks toward a bulletin board and the flyer posted upon it. As the ominous electronic score begins to drone, the camera tracks slowly toward the flyer. At this moment, redundant yellow subtitles pop onto the frame, spelling out exactly what we can already read on the flyer.
    As far as I can see, there' s no way to defeat these subs. The text of the flyer is in English, and fairly legible -- it might be a little small on a 27" monitor, but one can still read it. On the other hand, it's VERY distracting to have these subtitles randomly pop on-screen. They have never appeared in any other incarnation of the film, either in theaters or on laserdisc and VHS.
    I can't imagine who authorized this, and I hope to God it doesn't become habitual, applied whenever a disc's producers think we might not be able to read something. Maybe they'll start adding even more explanatory text to films -- "The killer is right behind her! Look!" for "Halloween," for example.
    It's nice to have "Safe" on DVD, and I'm very happy they used something close to the film's original poster for the DVD case, but it's still annoying to endure these small compromises.

2. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

Which company released this movie btw?

3. Bjorn Thoresen

Columbia Tri-Star, which, all criticism aside, has done a great job in pretty consistently releasing nice, 16x9-enhanced transfers. Compared to my rotting laserdisc of the film, the DVD is a great improvement in image quality.
    By the way, the title of the thread was intended to read, "Not 'Safe' from subtitles," but it got cut off. Sorry to anyone who clicks here in confusion at the vaguely allusive "Not."