Not real black on a Loewe Calida

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by warrick, Jun 29, 2002.

1. warrick

warrick Stunt Coordinator

Hi there,
    I have a Loewe Calida (64cm) about 5 years old, I have been impressed with its picture but recently found out about the calibration DVDs (Video Essentials) and have set up the set with it. The colour is now unbelievable but the black has a green tinge to it, and when there is some high contrast (ie the credits at the end of a movie) the black next to the white is very black but the rest has the green tinge.

Any ideas ??

or should I just get the local Loewe tech to look at it.

Warrick

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Is the green tinge only in black areas or also in gray areas?
    A reminder that is not well pointed out by the AVIA or VIdeo Essentials instructions, the contrast setting you obtain is the maximum allowable before the picture quality starts to degrade but really you should set the contrast well below that level otherwise the TV set life (picture tube phosphors, power supply) will be significantly shorter.
    To me the most likely cause of the green tinge requires a technical fix, such as in service menus: the green level doesn't accurately track the red and blue levels resulting in am overall screen tint shift (color temperature shift) as the overall brightness of tne scene changes. Before you used Video Essentials the level of black (brightness control) and tint control may have been set far enough off to hide the green tinge.
    Still there is no guarantee that you can both fix this and not compromise the picture in other ways; many sets have design flaws relative to absolutely correct NTSC, "red push" (accentuating the red to "improve" flesh tones) being one of them.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. warrick

warrick Stunt Coordinator

Alan,

"Is the green tinge only in black areas or also in gray areas?"

It does happen in the dark scenes in some movies but is most prevalent in the credits where it is black and white.

"Before you used Video Essentials the level of black (brightness control) and tint control may have been set far enough off to hide the green tinge."

I had noticed that if I adjust the contrast/brightness on a paused picture of the credits I can get it to disappear but then I loose the quality of the picture back to what it was before

"To me the most likely cause of the green tinge requires a technical fix, such as in service menus:"

Is the service menus something that I can access ??

I haven't had a chance to check out the link but will tommorow.

Thank you for your ideas I will have another play with the settings and contact a tech

Warrick

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Service menus, if the TV has them, can almost always be accessed by the set owner by pushing a certain sequence of buttons on the remote.

You will have to get a service manual, or find on the Internet someone who has posted the most commonly adjusted settings for your make and model of set. Occasionally the captions in the service menu tell what the items do but often the captions are too cryptic, requiring the service manual to tell you what does what.

In the service menu you have to be very careful. Making an incorrect setting by accident could mess things up very badly. Always write down the original setting for any item before changing it.

Also, almost all TV sets have screwdriver adjustments in the back, inside the cabinet. These are used instead of or in addition to a service menu, to make adjustments such as fixing this green tint problem. Unless you are comfortable working around high voltage wires, leave the screwdriver adjustments to a professional person.