What's new

Not quite stereo/HT equipment question....portable CD player question (1 Viewer)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I walk on a treatmill every night after work. To ease the boredom of looking at my garage's bare walls, I listen to music thru a 3 year old Panasonic portable CD player with its 10 second anti-shock on. The player is placed on the display panel of the treatmill. Anyway, while I was grooving to the CD of Elvis' recent "Elv1s" compilation, the player skipped. It skipped another 2 times over the course of my 45 minute walk. It's not like I'm running, causing the skipping. The player has skipped before, but I attributed it to the vibrations caused by my walking. But it has skipped more in recent days. Is this an indication that the player is about to bite the dust? Am I looking for an excuse to buy another portable CD player. Does battery life affect the effectiveness of the anti skip feature?? Any advice will be helpful. (In Elvis' voice") Thank you very much.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
At the point where battery life would be affecting the anti skip i imagine it would be almost dead anyway. if im not mistaken the anti skip on many of these players works by reading ahead a little bit and buffering some of the music, so when it "skips" it just reads from the buffer you will actually hear the skip if it tried to skip again before the buffer is rebuilt... they really should tell you how long it take to build up that buffer. as well some players will rebuild that buffer everytime a new track starts, so you could be unprotected at the beginning of every track.
personally id look into getting a new player... or even an MP3 player :D considering you can get a new portable cd player with decent anti skip for under 100 i say why not, you did get 3 years out of your other player

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Try cleaning the lens and maybe spraying the circuit boards with some contact cleaner - I did this to my discman and it stopped some glitches that had developed. Sometimes, grime can cause funny intermittent faults.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the advice, guys!

I will try fresh batteries and cleaning the lenses first. If it doesn't help, I will look for a new portable CD player. In that case, any recommendations??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks