Not musical?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Ison, Aug 28, 2002.

1. David Ison

David Ison Stunt Coordinator

I just don't get it I guess,I listen to music on my VSX-d811s all the time and I think it sounds great esp. in 6-chl. I think alot has been said by people that truly have not heard this rec,by that i think these opinions are based on previous inferior products and general preceived rep.I not going to justify these statements by saying "Ive owned this piece.....,I've been listening for ++ yrs.". my only point is, I think it does music quite well.

2. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    David,

I move this to the hardware forum.
    I don't think it would be served well in the "Basics".

3. Chris Brown

Chris Brown Stunt Coordinator

-
    Hi David. I too have the VSX-D811S and i'm quite happy with it.

But today I did the worse thing one could possibly do...

...I went and looked at some real high-end stuff. It's such a bubble popper. Before, you think, "Damn this sounds great", and afterwords you think, "This sounds like a $5 boombox".

*Sigh*

After hearing all the high-end stuff at the stores, I now notice all kinds of weak-spots in my system that I never noticed before. First, I now notice that My sound-stage sucks. The imaging from my speakers is terrible. Sounds sound like they are coming directly from the speaker and from no where else. When you listen to music you should hear the sound and not the speaker. I only hear the speakers. I also now notice just how not-warm my system sounds. Mainly, not enough warmth in the mids and the highs are ear piercing at high volumes.

The system I listened to was a high-end tube integrated amp with some really nice speakers (I forgot the brand)... and my system just can't compare. Now, I don't regret my purchase of the D811s, because it totally kicks ass at Home theater, and for the price I don't think I could have gotten anything better... but for music, well, the quest is still on.

For a temporary solution, I like to enable "Loudness mode" as it seems to make the sound a little better, but also increases the harshness of the highs a little. Worth the compromise IMO. Also, all hope is not lost with the D811s either, as you can add an external amp for the front two channels. Adding a 2 channel amp for the mains should do wonders and create an awesome budget setup. for music you switch to stereo mode and take advantage of the nice front channel amp, and for HT you still have the pioneer powering all your surround speakers.

4. Kevin Parker

Kevin Parker Stunt Coordinator

Hi Chris, try midnight listening on music instead of loudness and lemme know if you like it better than loudness.

5. Chris Brown

Chris Brown Stunt Coordinator

-
    I've tried it before, and didn't notice any difference between the two settings. I'll try it again tomarrow and listen more carefully. Can't do it now as it's late.

6. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

David:
    I agree with some of your comments: it isn't fair to condemn a receiver's sound/performance unless you've spent some time actually listening to it, playing around with it and getting a sense of its strengths and limitations.
    That being said...
    I spent 2-3 hours listening to the 811 using music only (CD, not SACD or DVD-A). With the help of a friend who owns an A/V place, we spent a day comparing receivers, including the H/K 225, Onkyo TX-SR600, Denon 1802, Marantz 4200, Sony DA1ES and a Yamaha (can't remember the name, 5560 I think).
    I have to tell you that the 811 was behind the pack in terms of stereo sound, but that's where we expected it to be. It's the least expensive and most feature-rich unit among these, and I think that something is sacrificed in terms of amplification in a unit like this. Now, it wasn't an order of magnitude worse than the others. It simply lacked the warmth of the H/K and Marantz, the detail of the Onkyo and Sony ES, the oomph of the Denon. It was, however, as good as or maybe even slightly better than the Yamaha. We used two different sets of speakers, B&W 303s and JBL S38IIs for the testing.
    Bottom line: if you love the sound, then go for it. I used a Sony DE835 for two years until I, on a whim, swapped it out for an H/K. I can't tell you what a tremendous difference it made in my system, and in my listening pleasure.
    -AM