Not impressed with SVS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ZachW, Jan 7, 2003.

1. ZachW

ZachW Stunt Coordinator

I finally hooked up my sytem including Denon, jbl, and SVS. The receiver and speakers are fine, but I'm not really impressed with the SVS 20-39PCi. It seems to lack impact, and isn't very audible. Sometimes I don't even think it's on. I haven't had time to calibrate anything, could that be the problem? Also, just to make sure on connections, I put the subwoofer cable in the "in" input. I'm pretty sure all my connections are correct. Could it also be that I need to break it in first? I guess I was just expecting a lot more for $600, and I'm really not impressed yet. thanks for any help

2. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Speakers need to be broken in. Depending how long it takes is all up to that particular speaker.
    Last year my friend bought a Mirage BPS 400 (2 12" woofs 400 watt) and at first it was not very loud and was very muddy sounding. He gave me some funny looks as I told him it would take a little time. After a few days a HUGE improvment was heard and after a couple of weeks all was good.
    However check your inputs and the settings on your amp. Room placement is key too. For information just do a search for "subwoofers" or whatever here in the speaker section of the forum. All your needs should be found [​IMG]

3. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

4. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Set the denon to all speakers small, sub on, and use the test tone to see if the SVS is even on (also check the phase switch as well). What you might also have to do is put the SVS in the prime listening area and crawl along the floor near the room boundaries with bassy music on and relocate the sub to where it sounds the best. Most of these are moot points if you're not going to even bother to calibrate your system as this is truly the only way to make certain that it will sound correctly.

5. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Zach;

If I may ask, what other subwoofer brands have you heard, be it in stores or at other people's homes? Chances are, you're used to the typical BOOMboxes sold at most electronic retailers, and I do emphasize the word "boom." These subs may impress the average Joe with their over-the-top, in-your-face sound, but the truth is, these subs produce bass that is neither clean nor accurate. They have a tendency to accentuate common bass frequencies (usually between 30 Hz and 60 Hz) to disguise the fact that they cannot extend into the super deep frequencies, where you don't hear the sound, you feel it. As a result, these subs call attention to themselves with overly loud, boomy bass at the expense of the audio material they are should be supporting.

The SV Subs, on the other hand, do not try to compensate for their lack of extension, because they don't need to. The SVS's produce a clean, flat response that doesn't accentuate any range of sounds and can drop below the depths of human hearing. The lack of impact you're noticing is simply the absence of bass that shouldn't be there in the first place. On most material, the subwoofer should recede into the background. A good sub won't call attention to itself unless the material requires it to do so.

And yes, calibrate your system with an SPL meter and a copy of the Avia Guide to Home Theater. These are essential tools if you want your system to perform at it's very best. Do that, then come back and tell us what you think.

6. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

I wasnt impressed at first either but I had got used to listening to the type bass that Jeff is describing, I had to learn how to listen to a flat response again. I did calibrate it and it has now been over 3 weeks and I am not fiddle dinking with it anymore. Matter of fact I find myself turning it down all the time. It takes time to setup and get used to any subwoofer they can be difficult but are worth the effort.
    I hope you are not expecting it to be something its not, I dont think it can stop a war with Irac but it can solve any low bass problems you have unless you have some room dynamics that wouldnt let any sub work.
    My old subs(2) were very effecient I played them at -6 to -8, with the SVS I am now at 0, starting out at +3 and every week backing off 1point. You have time, give it a chance I was a skeptic at first but after reading everything I could put my hands on and not one negative comment, the first thing I thought of when I turned it on was "What am I doing wrong"? not what was wrong with the sub. . .

7. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

I was impressed from day 1. Of course, I actually set mine up properly and calibrated it.

8. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

9. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

Subs are just like running a successful business - it's location, location, location.

Place the sub where you normally sit. Then, move around the room. Where the bass sounds good, that's where you can place your sub. Even a difference of a foot makes a big difference.

10. Bob_Hammond

Bob_Hammond Agent

I thought the same thing at first until I realized that there was a power switch that wasn't on. [​IMG]
    Also, calibration makes a big difference as already noted.
    Bob

11. ErichH

ErichH Screenwriter

When I first set up my SVS, I was more impressed with what it DIDN'T play than what it did. I.E. - the 50hz or so bump that I was used to in my cheap 12inch box sub.
    Perhaps the opening of StarWars ATOC with the ship fly in will let you know if it's on or not. Even after calibrating, this scene will remove any dust you may have on the walls.

Happy Booming

Eric

12. Hyun K

Hyun K Stunt Coordinator

even without calibrating... assuming that you don't have the input all the way down... you should be able to hear and feel the sub playing. Even set the sub very hot just to see what it can do. Calibrating is more for fine tuning your sub and dialing it into your other speakers. I'd say the biggest factor into you not being impressed by the svs out of the box is due to sub placement. Bass is heavily influenced by placement.... I'm not talking about audiophile subtleties. Move the sub around and see what happens. If you want to see what this sub is capable of, try putting the sub in a corner and then sit along a wall... that should put you in where all the modes are at a peak.

13. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Zach could you give us a good idea of how you have your sub set up? Sub placement and closest wall in reference to sub placement--gain setting on sub--crossover--phase--receiver settings and range. Is this your first sub and have you setup a receiver in the past with a sub? I know allot of questions but they are for a good reason. You most likely have something set wrong on receiver?? It is very easy to overlook something in settings.

14. Sean L

Sean L Stunt Coordinator

15. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

I don't think it was mentioned yet - make sure to disable the crossover at the sub if you are setting your speaks to small and filtering at the receiver. If not, you could be "double filtering" and creating a deep hole in the FR.

Ed

16. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    I STILL haven't properly calibrated mine (25-31PCi tuned 22), just tweaked by ear (still no SPL meter), but am perfectly happy with it.

the first time I hooked it up, it was in the office to a mini-compo. the music was immediately improved with nice clean bass. when I finally took it to my new home and hooked it up to just a TV and DVD player (only stuff available then in the otherwise empty place) and spun U-571's depth charge scene, it was simply jaw-dropping. the delivery guy delivering my new HT gear was also very impressed, and no doubt he's heard plenty of subs before.

if you're not hearing anything at all, with respect, there must be something wrong in the set-up. crank up the volume, play a known bass-heavy scene and you will KNOW it's on, heck, you'll feel it, then you'll have to back off the volume to calibrate it properly.

17. The thing I would say is to get Fight Club. Either borrow it or rent it if you don't have it. Put on the Psycho Boy chapter and if it doesn't feel like someone is kicking you in the ribs when you play this at reference then something is wrong.

18. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Nearly every piece of gear that I've purchased: mainly speaker s and headphones, I've initially always been disappointed after taking the item out of the box and trying it out. However, once I've broken in the device so that it could acclimate to my environment, I became very pleased.
    Finally, proper calibration is essential. As the others have indicated, this should be the first step that you take. Just "going by ear" and adjusting your settings through your hearing is not sufficient. Also, don't forget to go back and re-calibrate everything in a month or so once everything has been "broken in."
    Best of luck! [​IMG]

19. Ted_Wern

Ted_Wern Agent

Does everyone agree that setting the speakers to small in the front, even if your speakers are large is the correct thing to do? I have found leaving them at large is the better way. Setting the small may make then louder but if you have great fronts you are not getting the most bang for your speaker dollar. I set them to large and just run the receiver a little louder then I used to. Anyone, have any comments on this?

20. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter