Not happy with Samsung DLP

Discussion in 'Displays' started by timZa, Sep 30, 2006.

1. timZa

timZa Stunt Coordinator

The first Samsung DLP went out in a week, took it back got another. now a year later i have a slight bright to dim in the picture. the picture goes bright and dim slightly every few seconds. anyone know if the bulb would cause this problem? it does it on DVD tv or a blank screen. before i bought it i heard good things about them, but im disappointed. btw, if i turn it off for a while its ok till a few hours later. at 1st some days it would do it and other days it would be fine. anyone experience similar problem with there Sam DLP?

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

(DLP sets and also LCD and LCoS sets, both front and rear projtection)

A bulb approaching the end of its life can give you these bright-dim symptoms but the bulb can also fail without giving these symptoms.

Does your set have a counter that tells how many hours the set has been used? Sometimes when bulbs fail they explode, possibly damaging other internal parts. The published bulb life is supposed to be such that replacing the bulb within that life time will minimize the chance of experiencing an explosion.

Turning the set back on after it has been off for less than about a half hour will shorten the life of the bulb, that is, increase the chance of an explosion before the rated number of hours has elapsed.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    it sounds like macro blocking?? (perhaps).
    It could also be the bulb.

4. timZa

timZa Stunt Coordinator

I'm starting to think it may be some kind of out side interference, or something in my home. since i posted here the problem has not been present. the bright to dim is like every mili sec, almost like the picture is shacking. it has done this a few times, other wise i love the picture. as far as Macro i don't think so because you can see the flaw on a blank screen. if i turn on the menu it is also noticeable. i guess i will have to wait and see if it becomes more pronounced before i call for service. Samsung tells me the bulb is good for approx 10k hours.