What's new

Not Happy with my SVS...help!! (1 Viewer)

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
So how many times have there been threads like this where the poster was disappointed in their SVS to only find out that something was wrong in their setup?

Don't forget that -10dB setting on DTS. I had that set wrong for a long time. I thought it was really strange when LoTR sounded weak in DTS compared to DD.

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Jason,

Given your background and experience with car bass, I would guess something like a PB2-ISD or PB2-Plus might also be to your liking kidneys notwithstanding ;^). It also wouldn't create a "boomy" kind of emphasis that sometimes passes for "subwoofer sound" but since they're tuned higher (25Hz vice 20Hz) and both have greater total average output in the region I think you are looking for either would work probably better for your desire.

Most people with a room your size would find even a PC-Plus to have far more clean headroom than is needed (put it this way, many have PCi's in larger rooms and question the sanity of ever needing "more"), but you might not be "most people" and just want to swat that proverbial fly with a sledgehammer. If we missed that predisposition on any pre-sale discussion with I apologize.

Keep us posted, with all the suggestions folks here made I'm not suprised you found the "eureka" moment that caused it all to click in (the PC-Plus subs are just fantastically capable so I'm hoping still you will warm to its even sound).

If you are inside your 45 day trial and decide even more "over the top" slam is in order give a holler.

PS, my clue you might be looking for "over the top" was the 8" woofer at your feet and the Porsche 911 you drive. I had a 76 Carrera while living in Italy. It was the only car I've ever owned that scared the hell out of me. ;^)

Ron

Sebastian

Second Unit
way to go Ron!:emoji_thumbsup:

With customer service like that, it almost makes me want to buy an SVS sub even though I don't need one!:D

Jason_Dan

Agent
To Ron from svs

I would like to personally thank you (as someone sugggested)

For your very specific help in sorting out my sub set up problems. As suggested initially, the problem was a dvd player set up problem and not a sub problem at all. Ron, you nailed the problem and the fix on the head and did so in a way that did not make me feel like the dumb a$$! I actually was :b !

Thanks to Ron and all the rest of you HT junkies!

...and Ron here are a copule p-car pics for you!:

autocross (emma (my SO) is the passenger)
http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/3f6e0...wTfeABiLLiOZov

in front of the house
http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/3f6e0...zefeABliFL3vt3

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Congrats on getting your sub to perform correctly! It's threads like these that make me want to buy another PC+ to mate with the first one. I don't need it, but I keep looking at the space I would have if I just moved the entertainment center to the left a little....:D

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Jason,

Absolutely no need for thanks. What do you think the SVS Board of Directors pays me for? ;^)

We often say it, but probably it's worth restating: As long as our initials are on that sub (be it the "S" the "V" or the initials of one of our Ohio factory crew... your subwoofer's performance is personal.

We're not schlepping these from some cubical as a 9-5 job with bonuses for every sub sold. We make them in-house, and every sub that goes out our door (thousands and thousands by now) matters. Every one.

As folks have said, there are quite a few (very obscure) ways to come up with a sub-par subwoofer installation. And of course there IS the rare instance of a sub damaged in shipping, or a premature part failure. Our jobs is to quickly sort "ground truth" and get things right.

Thanks really go to you for working through some of the potential issues and nailing the solution. Use a SPL meter to dial things in on all speakers and it'll only get better.

Enjoy your SVS!

Ron

BradZ

Stunt Coordinator
I'll add to this thread that I was initially (not dissapointed, but) underwhelmed by my SVS. I think my expectations from threads were way too high. I tweaked and prodded and moved the sub here and there but just wasn't getting what I wanted. So I pulled my old sub back out and did some frequency sweeps. As others have mentioned, my old sub was hot on the upper end. I was used to hearing this unnatural emphasis and had conditioned myself to think that was good. The sweeps also confirmed that my old sub died off around 30Hz. The SVS was flat all the way down to 20Hz where the tone stopped- the SVS still had more to give.

I just decided to ride it out. The real clincher with the SVS was not in the demo tracks I ran, but when watching entire movies. After watching Matrix Revolutions I can definitely tell you that no one is taking my SVS away from me- ever. Also my father-in-law brought over some pipe organ music, that was fun. The SVS delivers real bass that sometimes we aren't accustomed to hearing, but once you get it- you'll never want to go back to the bloated upper bass of mass market subs.

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
Tell me SVS doesnt rule!!!!!!

BTW: I think my PC+ is great for music, infact I listen to DVD-A & SACD more than I watch movies cause I think the SVS sounds so great with those formats. before the DVD-A & SACD my major thing was watching DVD's. great sub for music!!!!!!

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
so i have moved the sub to another corner, adjusted the phase to 90 degrees, set my dt's to 'small" and threw on the matrix revolution we are now moving in the right direction. i am now rockin' the house!

!!!rock on!!!
please keep us up to date.

also did anyone mention that it might take a while for the woofer to get broken in? that also might change the bass output for a while.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Like I said before I don't know if this is in my head or entirely possible. (Tom maybe you could weigh in here) When I fist got my PB2+ the thing was not hooked up 2 minutes before we had the pod seen and war movies going in high gear. Simply blew by dual NHT subs out of the water. Then after about 30 minutes of that we changed to music. I would get more of a thud on a bass drum sound than the drum sound itself. I called Ron and he suggested a movment to the far corner and ports facing the wall. This helped a great deal but it still just was not there. I kept playing music over and over for about 4-5 days even when I was not home. Finally about after the 5th day things really shaped up and the bass was there, no more thump. It had gotten better about day 2 but was really good now. What do you think.... brain just getting used to it or those huge drivers in the bottom of that thing having to loosen up a bit. I felt one of them and they are very thick.

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
another satisfied SVS customer. darn, its about time I bought a house so I can get me one, no two of these :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks