Not happy with a lot TV's out right now

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Ruben Z, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Ruben Z

Ruben Z Auditioning

I know HD can produce awesome picture but whenever I go to locals areas to try and decide I'm never happy with ANY OF THEM. For some reason the image looks LESS real than a standard tv. I'm a intermediate photographer, so the best way I can describe what I see on screen is a AIRBRUSHING picture. The skin almost looks manequinish?

Your thoughts?

2. John S

John S Producer

That is usually because stores have no clue how to set up a display properly.

Can you site some specific model numbers???

The newer Sony LCD RP's sure look great to me, 1080p displays are hitting in they massey soon, check out some of those. Play with some of the picture controls.

Hookups and source feeds have a lot of bearing on this sort of thing too.

Really need some examples though to go any more in depth on it.

3. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

Very often, modern sets have digital video noise reduction mechanisms. These are, in my experience, evil.

Almost always, modern sets default to having the sharpness set fairly high. This, too, is evil.

Thus, without too much effort, you're already getting evil², since, as everyone knows, evil is multiplied, and not added.

Leo

4. Ruben Z

Ruben Z Auditioning

Thats what I figured, they just don't know how to calibrate them well.

I cant site specific models but I do know the ones I was looking at were DLP.

Another one I saw that seemed to be ok was a Sony one but also cant remember specifics.

is DLP the technology to get right now? I heard it was better than plasma.

5. John S

John S Producer

I'm hot on LCD Projection these days. But there are trade offs from every technology to every other technology out there. Makes it tough to decide. But only you can decide which trade offs are more important to you.

I think I am even going to buy a front projector.. Gasp..

6. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

Unfortunately you cannot judge a TV by what you see in the store. They're deliberately setup wrong and you're obviously going to notice. The other factor is the quality of the incoming signal which they may or may not control but you have no way to evaluate. A properly calibrated HD-capable TV with a clean signal should look wonderful and in my limited experience all but the very lowest in cost do.

One thing you can sometimes do in a store that helps is to play with the remote and go into setup. All I know of have several standard settings combinations with one of them usually called movie or cinema. That one should improve things dramatically but it really needs a much darker room than is typical to look right. The other option is to visit a few of the better specialty stores that have light-controlled viewing /demo rooms. When I was shopping those looked better and often had the TV set to something other than "torch" mode.

Good luck.[​IMG]