What's new

Not happy w/HDTV (1 Viewer)

Hi people,
I made the plunge and called my local cable monopoly, I mean company :D and had the HDTV added to my Mits 46805. The tech brought in a Scientific Atlantic 3250HD converter/decoder. Connected with my AR Componet cables.
The cable package on has DiscoveryHD, ESPNHD, FOXHD for programs. HBO and Showtime more $$.To tell you the truth, I dont see a BIG huge eye popping differance between my regular Direct TV signal and the cable HD programs. Is all this extra money worth it? I dont think so. I mean DiscoveryHD looks nice but not what I was expecting. Anybody else not happy with HI Def? Oh and the decoder only had L/R audio inputs, NO 5.1 :thumbsdown:

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Im not familar with the cable box model, however one of the specs for HDTV is DD sound (via a digital cable). Check the user manual for a RCA digital jack on the back of the receiver. *If* for some strange reason it doesnt have one (im betting it does) then ask for a different one.

On a Mits RPTV the difference between SD and HD should be HUGE. The box is most likely setup wrong or the front panel controls on your set are way out of whack. Also remember that the HD section on your set has a different convergence mode, so if this is the first time you have viewed HD on it, your convergence is most likely pretty far off.

Hope this helped.

Gregg

Bob_Bo

Agent
Hey Jonath,

I've seen a few HD set-ups here in central Mass, and I've been impressed with the picture quality.

As far as if it's worth it or not, I think that's subjective, but personally, I'm waiting until a few more channels are offered before I take the plunge.

The SA 3250HD does indeed support digital audio out. It's the bottom connector (black) right under the "AU" in Audio Out. The digital coax connector here should be run to your receiver's input.

A couple of simple things to check concerning your picture quality;
Your component cables are connected to the HDTV interface and not the standard video inputs on the back of the Mits.

As Gregg mentioned the box set-up might be wrong. Your Mits can accept a 1080i HD signal. The box may be set to 720p or worse. I'm not quite sure how to check that on the box.

If you need a manual for the Mits you can get it here: Mits and the specs for the cable box can be found here: SA3250HD

Good luck.

Chester II

Stunt Coordinator
Jonath dude,

Man...something is set up incorrectly. Let us know what your connections are.

I'm perplexed dude,

Chester

Chester II

Stunt Coordinator
Dude,

I almost forgot something. When I had Com(Bomb)cast install a high definition box the installer hooked everything up correctly using component video and tuned into an HBO channel and said, "Man...that's a great HD picture". Now I stood there in silence because the dude had tuned to a STANDARD DEFINITION HBO channel. As soon as he left I found the high definition HBO channel and said, "Man...that's a great HD picture".

Good luck dude,

Chester

Here is my program guide.
As you see I have ESPN HD (Ch 773)along with Reg ESPN Ch.34,35. I was watching golf on Ch. 773.

ESPN
Expanded Basic

ESPN2
Expanded Basic

ESPN HD
Hi-Def Tier

Discovery HD Theater
Hi-Def Tier

HBO HDTV-East
Hi-Def Service

Showtime HDTV-East
Hi-Def Service

WFXT-DT - FOX
Hi-Def Broadcaster

WHDH-DT - NBC
Hi-Def Broadcaster

Ok guys, I FIXED it!!
I ran the setup wizard that enables 1080.
The damn cable guy never did that. NOW I see what all the hoopla is all about. I love Discovery HD!!
Jon

Chester II

Stunt Coordinator
JONATH DUDE,

I KNEW IT WAS SOMETHING THE CABLE DUDE DID/DIDN'T DO ! ! ! ! ! !

LOL DUDE,

Chester

p.s. DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE ! ! !

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks