What's new

Not getting HDTV didital audio (1 Viewer)

Dashingw

Auditioning
Real Name
Darryl
Hi Peeps,

I have a question just to double check that I am not in the wrong.

I have an LG 42" LCD HDTV with all the normal connections on the back

I tend to put all my audio connections into the TV and then use the TV Digital Audio Out (with the digital coax cable) going to the Digital In on my Phillips DVD Digital Surround Receiver.

Everything seems to work perfect this way and it leaves only one cable going to the Digital Surround Receiver.

Until now, here's the problem....

I just got an High Def receiver from Bell Expressvu which I hooked up to my tv with just an HDMI cable which ofcourse carries audio and video.

And I still have the one Digital Audio cable coming from the Digital Out of the TV to the Digital In of the Surround Receiver

For some reason I only hear the Standard Def Channels through my Digital Surround System. I am not getting the HDTV channels audio through it. The only way I can hear the audio on the HDTV channels is on the TV itself or If I hook up a set of red and white RCA cables and go into my surround receiver with them but that's not Digital ??

I don't quite understand why I get the Standard Def Digital audio and not the High Def Digital Audio as they are the same audio correct ??

Unless ofcourse they are not broadcasting a digital signal like they are supposed to ??

Any Ideas or am I missing something ??

Any help would be appreciated and thank you,

Darryl

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
You will never get DD from the digital audio out on the TV. The TV does not pass thru the DD unless the source is the internal tuner. You have to connect a coax/optical from the cable box to the receiver. Use the one from the TV, it is basically useless unless you are using the TV's internal tuner.

Dashingw

Auditioning
Real Name
Darryl
Yes, I am already getting digital audio from my TV to my stereo on my standard def channels. It is not useless, you can put all your audio from your DVD, Stereo Receiver, Cable Box etc into the TV and then have just one cable going from your Digital Coax output of the TV to The surround receiver. Then what ever input mode you turn on on your tv to watch, the sound is already there, no need to have to switch modes on your surround receiver because it's all in the one digital input.

Trying to explain this as best I can, I figured this out and it works except for HD Channels for some reason. I have my DVD Audio going to a HDMI Input on the TV and I have my Cable Box going to my HDMI Input on my TV so the audio signals are all in my TV now and they are Digital Signals. Now all I do is use the Digital Audio Out Coax from my TV because that's why it's there and connect it to the Digital Audio In Coax of my Surround Receiver. That one cable brings my DVD and Cable box audio to my surround receiver and it works except for Channels 800+ on my cable box which are HD. Which leads me to think that they are not Digital because I can only hear them through my TV speakers, not my Digital Surround like the DVD Player and Channels 799 and under

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Please read it again: HD CHANNELS ARE IN DOLBY DIGITAL 5.1. YOU WILL NOT GET DOLBY DIGITAL FROM HD CHANNELS OVER THE DIGITAL OUT ON THE TV!!!

I've explained this three times in the many threads you have posted in. You are getting PCM stereo from the analog channels and nothing from the HD BECAUSE THE HD CHANNELS ARE IN DOLBY DIGITAL WHICH IS NOT SENT BY THE TV'S DIGITAL OUT!!!

Dashingw

Auditioning
Real Name
Darryl
Standard Def channels are 5.1 AC3 also and I am getting them

DVD audio is 5.1 AC3 and I'm getting that

As far as I know only Digital can go through the digital inputs/outputs

PCM is turned off by the way so there goes that theory

And my audio is true Digital surround because the rear speakers only carry the background noise and music not that simulated surround crap

My tv Has Digital Out labeled on it. This is where the DIGITAL COAX CABLE GOES, THIS IS WHAT CARRIES DIGITAL 5.1 TO A RECEIVER

MY STEREO RECEIVER IS DIGITAL dOLBY AND IS SET ON DIGITAL DOLBY not Analog.

Maybe your Tv can't output digital but mine can. It's a LG 42LB5D, LOOK IT UP !!!!

Dashingw

Auditioning
Real Name
Darryl
Problem Solved !! Must have been an issue with the satellite company as it all of a sudden started to work on it's own !!

Thanks and just a reminder, if your TV has a digital Out Coax jack then you can put all your audio into the TV and then out to your surround system...

Thanks for trying folks,

Darryl

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As Jeff stated earlier, this is not always correct. In fact you are the exception. In all of my years on this and other home theater related forums, you are the first person with a TV that can do this.

-Robert

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

He's not. I looked up his set, it only allows for DD 5.1 from the internal tuner, like every other TV with digital out. He's getting digital, but it's PCM 2.0 which he hears in Pro-Logic. But he's not going to listen to me, so let him think what he wants.

Dashingw

Auditioning
Real Name
Darryl
Jeff, how about keeping quite until you actually know something, please

I know what Dolby Digital is, Dolby Surround etc......

I talked with Bell satellite today because the Digital sound on my system was missing again today except through my TV speakers and they admitted they are having problems with it which is why I had it lastnight and not today. They are working on it !!

If it was not digital audio, it would not go through the digital output and into my receiver. All my other audio does including Standard Def channels which are the same 5.1 audio . And again it is not PCM as I have it turned off on my DVD Player and My Satellite receiver.

My satellite HD Receiver gives me three choices under the Digital Dolby Section.

These are.....

DolbyDigital/PCM
Dolby Digital Only
PCM Only

I have it set on the middle "Digital Dolby Only" To prove my point

My audio is crisp and clear, sounds great will be even better as soon as Bell fixes the HD Digital problem

I get main voices through the Center and background only through my rear surround speakers and this is with my surround receiver set on DIGITAL IN

Like most manuals for other I have perused through it says nothing about only being able to use the Digital out for the TV Tuner actually what it says for mine is Connect to various equipment.

I was right in assuming they were not tranmitting Digital 5.1 through the HD Channels and I guess I am one of the Lucky ones that does get Digital from the Satellite Receiver to The TV to the Surround Receiver.

Thanks for everyones input but I have figured out the problem and am a happy camper or will be soon....

Dashingw

Auditioning
Real Name
Darryl
Here's a reply I got from LG themselves that sort of answered my question short but sweet.....

"Digital out is used as long as the TV speakers are off" Regards David Herbert LG Canada

And I explained the whole thing to LG in a letter asking them about the Digital Out...

Dashingw

Auditioning
Real Name
Darryl
Ahh, Finally somebody believes me, Thank you Robert and sorry Jeff. I get a little crusty when someone basically calls me an idiot without actually saying it !! LMAO !!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't think Jeff was calling you an idiot. We have both been helping people here for years and you would be amazed and the mis-informed masses when it comes to home electronics. I was thinking that Jeff was correct until I found that thread. This is the first time I have seen a TV that would pass through DD. Your type of question is very common and Jeff's answer has been correct in the past.

As for your responses, I think that you were a bit out of line. The yelling (all caps) is never called for in a forum like this. We are all just wanting to spead the joy of our hobby to others. We answer questions based on our experiences and what we have learned in the past. If Jeff had been sitting in your living room would you have yelled at him? Would you accused him of calling you an idiot? Probably neither. If you like that thing, I can give you some links to car audio forums where you can yell and name call with a bunch of stubborn 15 year olds until you are blue in the face. (I know that old saying doesn't really fit on a forum environment but hopefully you get my idea)

We want all new members to stay around and ask more questions. Contribute where you can. But most of all pass on this great hobby to someone else.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Righ
Recent bookmarks