What's new

Not for Resale Rental Only? (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I got my Copy of Ocean's 12 in the mail today from Netflix and looking at the disk it says on it "For Rental Only Not for Resale". This is the First Time I think I've seen this on a Netflix disk or any disk for that matter. Is Netflix getting a special variety of disk made for them?

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Maybe they signed some deal to get a better price where they just get their movies on a spindle or something?

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I've run into this on mostly Warner Bros. releases (in fact, I just checked my 'Smallville' disc and it says it). Not sure why they are doing it, but they seem to be the only ones right now.

MattHR

Screenwriter
Netflix has been getting many of their discs with special labeling for awhile. Several studios have "revenue sharing" deals with Netflix, where the studios own the actual discs but share the revenue earned.

It also helps Netflix employees better recognize their product as its received for processing when returned.

Another reason for the markings is there has been an ongoing problem with people stealing the Netflix mailers out of mailboxes and within the postal system. Many stolen discs show up at pawn shops or used disc dealers. These markings help discourage thieves from trying to pawn the stolen product, since reputable dealers won't accept them.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

To the best of my recollection, they are always grey with white or clean printing...never in full color or with any graphics.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Thanks. Just wondering what the artwork looks like on this disc in particular. Oceans 12 for purchase does indeed have full-color artwork. My last Warner rental from Netflix, Soylent Green, had grey with simple printing as you describe.

- Steve

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

Many studios have been doing that for years in the UK, as UK copyright law is different from US copyright law on this matter. In the US, once a copy is lawfully purchased, the buyer can than dispose of it at will, including resale or rental. UK law gives copyright holders more control over what happens with the works they sell.

DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks