Not feeling the subwoofer punch

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Blair Lee, Dec 1, 2002.

1. Blair Lee

Blair Lee Agent

Hello all,
    Yesterday I bought a Pioneer HTiB setup from Costco. The speakers are mediocre but I bought the package for the VSX 711 receiver, which I've read to be excellent.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out what's going on with my subwoofer placement. I was watching parts of Shrek and I could hardly hear the sub, but my wife was upstairs and complaining that it was extremely loud. I went upstairs to find the house vibrating from the sub.

I originally placed the sub in a corner to my right, with the port facing me. I'm guessing that the sofa was absorbing the soundwaves which essentially killed any bass I was hearing. I now have it placed just to the left of the TV, with the port facing me. It's better now, but I'm wondering if there's another place for me to place the sub. Would I get more effective sound if I aimed the port at a wall with no obstructions in the way?

2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

3. Blair Lee

Blair Lee Agent

[​IMG] Thanks for the detailed reply. Guess I'll go down there for a while today and do some tweaking. The Rat Shack SPL and a copy of Avia are on my "to do" list.

4. Blair Lee

Blair Lee Agent

Well, I moved the sub from the left of the TV to the corner of the room on the right side of the TV. The left side is, technically, a corner, but only because the TV is located in an "indentation" area of the room: (X = old sub placement, S = new sub placement, C = couch, . = nothing)

...________
    ___|XTV...S|
    |..........|
    |.........C|
    |.........C|
    |___CCCCCC_|

Now I can definitely hear and feel more bass. I hope the neighbors aren't getting too much of it, though.

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Moving to speakers.

6. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

With the ports facing you? It is usually best to have the front of the sub facing you (The name and logo are usually on the front). The sub was designed with the ports in a certain location for a reason, so it is best to face it towards you the way the manfacturer reccommends. Some subs have the ports on the front, but many have them on the back, or even the side. Having the port facing the wall will usually enhance output.

Remember, the idea is not to hear the sub. It should blend with the rest of the speakers providing the lower end. You shouldn't be able to tell where it is.