What's new

Not Bashing just, venting about Warners (1 Viewer)

RobertGr

Second Unit
I have been a huge fan of Warners classic releases and continue to support them already pre-ordering the Gangster collection number 3. But last year was a big let down when we were hearing about their plans to release 200 classic titles - didn't happen. Now we are about 8 weeks away from Easter 08 amd still no Quo Vadis and still no Northwest Passage. What is the dealio Warners, if you want my greenbacks you need to start coming through with the classics. Please no more remasters of "OZ" of "GWTW" of "ADV OF ROBIN HOOD" in fact why is "AN AMERICAN IN PARIS" years behind your thought of 2006 release and where are the latest Ultra Rez's!!!!!

Break upon the vaults and I will continue to support the releases!!!!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
If they don't release them soon, I won't buy them at all! :D

Seriously, why use Oz, GWTW, and Robin Hood as examples? Oz was 2005, GWTW was 2004 (and the first time WB had worked on it since the first edition was an old 1998 MGM disc), and Robin Hood has only had one DVD (in 2003) besides the identical 2006 HD-DVD (which used the same master and kept all the extras).

RobertGr

Second Unit
Well I have been collecting product in Home Video since VHS, I also made the mistake of collecting CED discs and then Laser and now SD dvd that is why I will not support HD. OZ was issued once on CED two or three times on VHS I remember the 50th Anniversry edition then the "Vide-Oh" relabel. The on Laser the 50th edition then the Ultimate OZ. Then on dvd the 1998 version then the 3 disc special edition dvd which might or might not have framing issues. Now to be fair to Warners they only have 2 editions of it too date. But I have named what at least 8 versions since 1989. Northwest Passage had been on VHS once and Laser. Same with Quo Vadis. Quo Vadis was the biggest moneymaker MGM had in the films release year and listed in the top ten MGM moneymakers well into the 1960's, It was a blockbuster and Northwest Passage was considered a breakthrough film as it had a great story and was a great action film that did not depend on color as a gimmick the story stood on its own. These two films are sitting on the shelves when we see re re re masters of other retreads. In regard to Spencer Tracy his output of great films are MIA where is Edison the Man? In fact it would be a great box of films to include Northwest Passage, Edison the Man and Plymouth Adventure. I would grab that in a heartbeat!

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
To be fair to Warner, each new version of The Wizard of Oz has been better than the last. It isn't like they are offering up different version of the same transfer.

The other thing is that old reliable films like Oz are probably what pays the bills so that lesser films can be released.

Lastly, Warner are still the best at releasing library titles. I was somewhat disappointed that they seemed to slow down in the last third of 2007, but my guess is that they just saved up some titles for the 85th year onslaught.

Let it begin... :P

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I just think it's ridiculous to vent at Warner of all studios about double-dips. Except for last year's Poltergeist dud, nearly every special edition they've released was justified. Not that new-to-DVD titles should take a back seat, but they still put out over 150 catalog titles in 2007, plus a lot of great special editions. From looking at their release list, 2007 was a great year for B-movies and arthouse fare, as well as lots of titles from big stars like Katharine Hepburn, James Cagney, Barbara Stanwyck, Burt Lancaster, and Errol Flynn. We also got Popeye, The Jazz Singer, and another volume of Looney Tunes.

So, about those movies being left on the shelf...

troy evans

Screenwriter
The problem is the best selling classic title can't touch the current titles in sales. This means we either don't get it or we get a no frills edition on dvd. That is bad, but, the facts are facts. Studios want lots and lots of money for what they release and that's why standards like OZ and GWTW keep getting re-issued. Simply put, they sell. However, even they don't produce the revenue that current titles do. Sadly, the market just doesn't seem big enough for them to put it out, I'm guessing. Now, I have seen more on dvd than I've seen on any other format, so, there is hope to at least get a release. Just no guarantee.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
My only complaint, is that we're still waiting for OAR versions of films like Grumpy Old Men and Funny Farm that were released as p&s only. They said quite a while back that they're coming, but no sign of them. :frowning:

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
I can't imagine complaining about Warner. Look at all that's in store that we know of already: Classic Musicals, Pre-Codes, Gangsters, Bette Davis...wow!!! And I thought last year was a fabulous year for releases too! No other studio is doing so much for their classics.
Naturally, we can't ALL have our favorites released at the same time. So whether I am interested in a release or not, I am always just as thrilled for the people who have been longing for those titles the way I have for the next Classic Musicals for instance!!!

And besides I just LOVE surprises!!! :)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
[sarcasm]Yes. Just look at their release record for Q1 of this year. Warner catalog marketing is neglecting less popular titles and focusing all of their attention on sure-to-sell blockbusters like "The Ritz", "Tell Me a Riddle", and "Payday".[/sarcasm]

Regards,

RobertGr

Second Unit
You guys all make good points, but as I said I am not bashing just venting. Hey I invite you all over to my house to see the titles in my collection, they for years have been mainly Warner Home Video releases of classic titles. But the releases anticipated didn't match the hype last year. And remember Warners reportedly has sold more than 1 million units of the Thin Man Collection so there is green in them thar classics! I also remember Warner's thanks to George F pioneered the classic dvd release but there is no denying their classic releases did a fizzle last year from September through Christmas. They have some great little classics that we have been hearing about but are still not forthcoming. And it is sad when I can see QUO VADIS on TCM this Feb 18 in a pretty decent transfer but still cannot pop into my dvd player in a legit and wonderful transfer. C'mon let's be fair we all complain that Paramount still is holding tight to SAMSOM AND DELILAH and THE AFRICAN QUEEN but we cannot say the same about Warners with QUO VADIS, NORTHWEST PASSAGE and AN AMERICAN IN PARIS?

I again look eagerly to parting with some of my hard earned dough-ray-me to fill Warners coffers for more classics!

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Anatomy of a fizzle:

18-Sep: Deliverance: Deluxe Edition
09-Oct: Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland Collection
16-Oct: The Jazz Singer: Three-Disc Deluxe Edition
23-Oct: Stanley Kubrick : Warner Home Video Director's Series
23-Oct: Burt Lancaster: The Signature Collection
30-Oct: Barbara Stanwyck: The Signature Collection
06-Nov: Leading Ladies Collection: Vol. 2
20-Nov: The Song Remains the Same: Two-Disc Special Edition
18-Dec: Blade Runner: Five-Disc Ultimate Collector's Edition

Regards,

gunthertoody

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
Off course we want more!!! But there will be no bashing, venting or complaints from me regarding Warner at all. They've been far ahead of the pack and Fox is really starting to crank things out too. It's the other major studios that have really been sitting on their hands.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
Until they release The Hellstrom Chronicles and Captain Nemo And The Underwater City, I will curse them every day. :) :)

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit

Indeed....some fizzle. Lest we forget those collections represent about 20 films, not to mention the jaw-dropping 3rd disc of 25 or so Vitaphone shorts on THE JAZZ SINGER.

.....and for 2008, when any of the other studio (including Fox) are barely doing anything, WB has already announced dozens and dozens of great new to DVD titles.

I can't be anything but very grateful to the astute folks at WB.

RobertGr

Second Unit
Okay, it is January 08 please list the dozens and dozens of titles Warners has announced that fit into the the classic category

Gangster vol 3
Musical Dream factory vol 3
Leading lady (I think)
Bette Davis vol 3
Forbidden Hollywood

That is a mind boggling 5 releases!!!!! I guess that rates as Dozens and Dozens to the eager fans wanting to get these dvd's.

And to Ken that was about 9 releases from Sept to Christmas! Before that the other great collection they released was the 4 Nancy Drew movies. If are all going crazy when I clearly said I fully support the product but we were all hyped about 200 classic releases and they fell far short. Then they all complained because their yearly revenue fell for dvd's! Why the product was not released and again maybe had they released classics like QUO VADIS, NORTHWEST PASSAGE etc revenue would have been better!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
What exactly does WB consider 'classics'? I would consider that to mean titles pre-1970 (not to say that there isn't classic movies from every year or that all movies from before 1970 are all anywhere near classics) but are they referring to nearly all of their catalog titles? If so, then Blade Runner or Deadly Friend or The Hand would count towards that 200 titles.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Nine releases, five of which were multi-title box sets. That amounts to a rate of around 1.5 catalog titles per week. Between the Nancy Drew release in mid-June and September of 2007, they released the following:

Warner Home Video Shakespeare Collection (four titles)
Film Noir Classic Collection, Vol. 4 (ten titles)
TCM Spotlight: Esther Williams Volume 1 (five titles)
Classic Musicals from the Dream Factory Volume 2 (seven titles)
Cult Camp Classics Vol. 1-4 (twelve titles)
Lucille Ball Film Collection (five titles)
Myrna Loy and William Powell Collection (five titles)

They are releasing titles at a rate that is more than reasonable although it may not be exactly the titles you want.

Regards,

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Does anyone have the actual quote from Warner? It seems more likely that they would have said "catalog" than "classic". (or maybe "classic catalog"? I cannot remember).

I forgot about the "Twisted Terror" collection since I never received a review copy. Adjust my "fizzle" accounting above accordingly.

I believe titles like "Alexander Revisted" and "Troy Director's Cut" and the new SE of "You've Got Mail" are also handled by the (very busy) catalog folks at WB.

Regards,

Mark VH

Second Unit
So let me get this straight -

Warners is putting out box after box of classic movie releases, upping the output significantly in 2008 with deep catalog titles that fans have been clamoring for - and you're whining about the two movies that you just so happen to want to see released that haven't been yet? Am I missing something? What is your major malfunction?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Okay, Easter isn't here yet and next week something special is going to happen so maybe a little more patience is in order from you.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks