What's new

Not another Camera rec. thread - ;) (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A cotton t-shirt works great for that. Seriously, there are different types of lens cleaning cloths and fluids for that. The cloths can be nice and most of the time the fluid isn't even necessary, but you seriously can just use a nice soft cotton cloth. Anything that is clean and non abrasive, which means no paper like tissue or paper towels.

Mark, I sold this stuff for longer than I care to admit, both retail and as a manufacturer's rep and shit like that is why people don't want to buy from B&M retailers. When someone tells you stuff like that, I'm inclined to suggest you tell them they just lost a sale and why.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Well, the headaches are finally over and I'm pulling the trigger (thankfully not at my head, but at my wallet :D) with the S1Well, I'm sticking it to CC and buying the Canon S1 online at Wal-Mart.com. They have it for $50 cheaper than the stores. CC.com has a $50 mail in rebate, but Wal-Mart gives it to you immediately in the price without the need for mailing in recipts and then having to cash the check they send you.

After yesterday, online is my salvation...This way I don't have to deal with the stupid clerks who try to guilt you into foolish purchases.

I'll let you all know how the camera works out.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Sorry Mark I missed this thread the last time I logged into HTF. The S1 does come with a nice lens cover.

As for online sites I got mine at www.cameracanada.com for a very good price as they price matched an eBay site for me but you should be able to find a good online site in the US. I'd get a reputable site to price match one of the lower priced sites from this link here

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...sterid=2301615

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Andrew, I bought it from Wal-Mart.com for $447.82 (not too bad) and I also got a 1GB memory card for $235.96 from Wal-Mart.com as well.

It should be arriving here soon.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Congrat's I'm sure you'll love it. Which memory card did you get? I'm pretty sure I'll end up with a IBM microdrive since I won't be able to pony up the funds for a fast enough CFII card

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
BTW Andrew, I've never used them but I hear universally bad things about microdrives. Considerably shorter life, unreliability and very high sensitivity to shock are a few.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I saw the fuji but it lacks the image stabalizer and its movie mode isn't nearly as good as the Canon's. Plus for me having owned Canon's before I felt comfortable going with them again.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
A quick update:

I got my camera and all the accessories the other day. I gotta say I LOVE the feel of this camera. It feels just like a 35mm camera and not like the boxy/flimsy point-and-shoots. I brought it to work to show some of the photo enthusiasts and they even agreed that the weight felt good. Not too flimsy/not too heavy.

I bought the specially designed case for the camera. There's just enough room for the camera and an extra memory card, but it's pretty neat looking. Everyone I showed it to made a comment on how neat the case was.
http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/s1is/accessory.html
It's the last item in the list.

The weather hasn't been good enough for outdoor shooting, but I did a few indoor shots. The quality seems pretty good. I still need to do some fine tuning, but there seems to be a lot of potential here.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i got the canon too.

the stabilizer was the deal maker.

i also like the stitch assist on the camera and the stitch program, as i will like to make a lot of wide or tall shots.
the fuji didnt have stitch.
lotta stuff to learn how to use..
i never had a sophistamicated camera like this before.

wow the batteries sure go quick.

4 double a's.
gone in about an hour of playing around with the camera.

the stitch is great.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I'm interested in the Canon S1 IS but there's also the Panasonic DMC FZ10. 4 MP IS 35mm-420mm 12x zoom. Nice big glass. Good camera. More expensive vs the Canon S1 IS. I haven't decided which one to get. If I can afford it I'll get the Panny.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks