Not an everyday house spider

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gordon C Jr, Jul 22, 2002.

1. Gordon C Jr

Gordon C Jr Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone know a good link for information on spiders. I have these spiders showing up in my backyard that look like a 1 - 2 inch black widow, but they are grey and have shorter legs.. (Ugly too)..

I want find out what they are to determine whether I need to call in any the roach patrol or whether they are harmless.

2. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

only highly poisonous spiders in the US that i know of are the brown recluse and the black widow.

what you described sounds like a wolf spider to me. they bite...it'll hurt....but it won't get you sick at all. just like a bee sting.

3. Gordon C Jr

Gordon C Jr Stunt Coordinator

Know of any pictures?

Do Wolf spiders have a large body (sort of heart shaped)? And are they found in California? In backyards? I've found 3 or 4 so far and the web they spin is huge (For a normal backyard web). It spanned about 3 or 4 foot area from my tree down to the grass.

The spiders also only come out at night.. Daytime they must be hiding in the tree.

4. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I think this is a wolf spider
    [​IMG]
    Not to get off topic here, but my wife and I found a rather intimidating but harmless garden spider on our deck last fall. Like this one:
    [​IMG]
    Unlike my wife, I find spiders fascinating. I had to do everything in my power to stop her from running out there with a can of Raid.

5. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Here's a link to a site with spider info and some pictures. The immature female black widow and male black widows are quite different from what you describe.
    Here's a picture of a brown recluse spider.

6. Micah Lloyd

Micah Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

I've seen those spiders a lot in the North San Diego area. They spin their beautifully large symmetrical webs in the early evenings - usually higher up like between trees. They're amazing to watch! The spiders are quite large and "hairy". I believe they are Orb Weavers - a type of garden spider. Harmless.

7. John Spencer

John Spencer Supporting Actor

Spider info
    If it's spinning a web, it's definitely not a wolf spider. Wolf spiders are called such because they hunt their prey. The only time they use their webbing is in their nests, which you will rarely ever see unless you are actively looking for them. What you are seeing is probably an orb weaver of some type. As a matter of fact, I believe there is a species called the California Orb Weaver, but I could be wrong. The only one I've ever gotten to see is what they call the Golden Garden Spider.

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I don't why, but I really like spiders. Fascinating creatures.

9. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

[​IMG]
    This spider gives me nightmares.

10. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Holy cripes Josh, what the hell is that spider?? The spider I see the most running around here is the Hobo spider, and it is pretty venemous. My sister got bit by one and it was nasty!

11. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I like spiders... from a computer monitor, on TV... IN reality? I'd be running away screaming like a little schoolgirl [​IMG]

12. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

I let the spiders run amok in the house to keep the other pests at bay. Still and all, the sight of a giant wolf spider scuttling across the floor late at night can be quite disconcerting.

13. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

I've been bit by a brown recluse three times (two separate incidents, three emergency room visits, more...).
    And I'll soon be clearing out a storage unit that is infested with black widows.
    I'm screwed. [​IMG]

14. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    All I can say is spiders are friggin' EVIL!!! THey scare the livin' bejeezus out of me. I realize their importance in the animal kingdom and that we would be over run by insects if it wasn't for them, but they really freak me out.

15. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

Repeat after me,
    Spiders are my friend.
    I do have trouble unless I see them coming first, then I can steel my nerves. And if I ever walk through a web outside in the dark unexpectedly you will really see the Hoochy Coochy Dance. [​IMG]
    Wolf spiders are plentiful camping around Texas and can get very large. One night I woke up in my Tent with my dog growling in a deadly serious tone I had NEVER EVER heard. He was so serious, the hairs stood up on the back of my neck as I awoke. It was a Wolf spider on the outside of the tent which the full moon had enlarged in silhouette to approx a foot or so in size on the opposite wall. Till I woke up completely and figured out the magnification effect, I really thought I was the first victim in a true life Hollywood B grade movie. I bounced him off the side of the tent but he kept coming back (rousing the dog) all night long.

16. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    hehehe, anybody see 8-legged freaks yet? [​IMG]
    Is it just me, or do these spider threads pop up every month or so? [​IMG]

17. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

I'm with NickSo...I'm all brave and stuff looking at these guys on the computer screen, but if one were to dance across my keyboard right now, I'd wet my drawers.
    Jon
    [​IMG]

18. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

I'm getting all itchy reading this thread!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

i'm scared to death of spiders....i think they are cool...but they still freak me out.

i tend to get these odd spiders in my house every so often....about 2-3.5" with striped legs...once i found one in my shoe...i screamed like a girl

another time one was hangin on the wall above my stairs so i was throwing pennies at it to knock it down...it fell and i went downt he stairs to kill it with my stick...saw it on the steps as i was walking down and tripped....rolled down the stairs...jumped up and started violently shaking my clothes to get it off...it wasn't on...never did kill it...

20. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

I'm fasinated by spiders and other insects.
    My house is FULL of spiders. Last year, in my basement, almost every floor beam had a web on it (my basement is only used for storage). But I finally cleared all the webs with a broom. I don't mind having them in the basement, as they keep other insects out, but if I find them in my living area, I'll usually grab the vacuum, put the hose attachment on and suck them up. Although now that I've done that, I've noticed an increase in other critters, as I never got rid of the random few any other year.
    The bugs that freak me out are millepedes... although this year I've only seen one, so it's not too bad. I do think it's time I call the Terminex guy...
    Anyway, back to the spiders. I have 2 types in my house. One's that look like the brown reclouse, but I'm pretty sure they aren't in the northeast, and the jumping spiders that only camp out by my back door.
    Here's one little tidbit of info I learned. We have what looks like daddy long leg spiders around here, but upon closer inspection and some research, I've learned they are in fact, not spiders! They are called haverestmen?! There are daddy long leg spiders (none that I've seen though), but the easiest way to tell them apart... spiders have 2 body sections and harvestmen have one section.
    Finally, for the record, I rent this house which is REALLY old, and when I actually BUY a house, I'll be a little more strict as to who I room with [​IMG]