What's new

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
With the old site you could see the codes in the Points History (Item and actual code). I actually thought the old limit was 10 codes/day, but when I checked my history I don't think so or if it was it came much later in the program. I don't know if I ever got more than 10 in a day often (a couple times with a large DMC order), but I had years of codes I rarely redeemed until Disney Movie Anywhere started in 2015. Once I started entering codes I went through my entire DVD and BD and pulled and input all the codes -- it took a long time

I looked at my history I downloaded before the site changed over last year and it looks like I entered exactly 40 codes on 2/23, 2/24, 2/25, and 30 codes on 2/26. I don't know if the site cut me off at 40 or I just got tired of entering codes, but it's a little odd I didn't keep entering them unless the site stopped me at some point -- close to 25000 points all at once. I didn't enter any more until August so I must have run out of codes.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I started with the Movie Rewards program on the day it first launched on October 3, 2006. The very first release which had a code in it was the Platinum Edition DVD of The Little Mermaid. I just got in the habit of entering codes as soon as I got them because I wanted the rewards. Digital copies are nice to have but they were an afterthought for me, so I just entered codes for points whenever I got one whether or not Movies Anywhere was attached to it.

What I typically do is target a specific reward, save up enough points to get it, and then go back down to near zero (or however many points I have left after entering the final code before I crossed the threshold) and then I do it again. This works because I don't feel the need to have the super-expensive rewards like experiences and am mostly interested in Blu-rays. There was also a time when I got some posters, and I do like some of the posters that are available. However, I am running out of wall space, so if I got more posters I don't really know where I would be able to put them, especially since they are 27x40. It's wonderful for Disney to offer those, but they're only good if you have enough room to display them. So for the last few years I have been sticking with Blu-rays when available.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I just noticed that after I redeemed The Lion King earlier this week, the redemption page for it now says "Remaining: 9999998" next to the Redeem Now button. I assume this means that I would be allowed to redeem this title 9999998 more times if I were inclined to do so and had the points.

Which begs the question:

Who would need Remaining: 9999999 copies of the same movie?

I've bought about 6 different copies of The Lion King over the course of the last 25 years or so through its various different formats, editions and reissues. I also went to the theatrical re-releases in both 2002 (once, because the theater was a long drive) and 2011 (twice, even though the Blu-ray was coming out two weeks later.). And now I've redeemed points to future-proof it in 4K even though I don't think it's very likely that I am going to go 4K. I almost never do that for anything but The Lion King is that important to me to have just in case, because it is one of my all-time favorite and most constantly rewatched movies. On the off chance that I ever did get a 4K setup, it would be one of the first things I would want to watch in that format.

So by no means am I knocking multiple editions of the same title. This is one of those movies where Disney can sell it to me in just about every conceivable configuration and still get me to go out to the theater (when safe) if it were playing.

But that number of possible redemptions is just hilarious to me. :laugh:

Belated edit only to correct a typo.

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I would also bet with Disney's history of attempting to stop resellers from using DMC and other Disney sites, once you got to 5 or 6 they'd
stop you by banning your account.

What I typically do is target a specific reward, save up enough points to get it, and then go back down to near zero (or however many points I have left after entering the final code before I crossed the threshold) and then I do it again. This works because I don't feel the need to have the super-expensive rewards like experiences and am mostly interested in Blu-rays

If it works for you, that's all that really matters. All boats to the same port by Christmas

I never paid much attention to the Rewards program at all until 2009. It looks like I entered 20-30 codes or so that year then maybe 10 in 2012 I think playing with the SD digital program/early VUDU then almost none until DMA started. Looking at my Rewards redemptions, it appears I donated almost all of those 2009 point to some Video/Library sharing idea from Disney and then got 2 blurays in 2010, some sort of Disney Discount Coupon in 2013, then nothing until 2015 when I bought several Jim Shore figures, some Mickey/Minnie/Frozen plushes I used as Birthday gifts and Christmas stocking stuffers for my wife. The first posters I bought were the Star Wars TFA in late 2015 and Rogue One in late 2016. The large majority of Posters I bought started in 2019 -- not sure why other than they were there and the SW posters looked so good -- I don't even think I learned how valuable they were until later since I was still thinking they were excellent quality reprints instead of Originals.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Redbox? If you recall, they were in hot water with Disney for selling digital codes.

Great point. I had forgotten about that.

I would also bet with Disney's history of attempting to stop resellers from using DMC and other Disney sites, once you got to 5 or 6 they'd stop you by banning your account.

You're probably right. But it would be just as easy to set a reasonable limit for number of redemptions. The Frozen II lithograph they put up this week already has a redemption limit of one per member. I'm surprised they just don't say "Limit 2" or however many for the Blu-rays. I could see somebody making use of more than one copy if they were redeeming extras in order to gift them to there people, but certainly not as many as that number seems to imply are currently allowed. You'd think Disney would just set a small per title limit and be done with it.

The large majority of Posters I bought started in 2019

I stopped getting the posters once I realized that I didn't have any more space to put them up.

Back when I was in college, I think I had four or five DMR posters up in my dorm at any given time. We were required to use sticky putty rather than putting a hole in the wall, and occasionally they would fall off the wall and need to be restock. Then, every year at the end of the school year, we would have to take everything down, even though I knew I was coming back to the exact same room the following fall. So between years of being put up and taken down and put up again with sticky putty, all of those got ruined by the time I graduated and had to be thrown out. I sort of wish I still had them and hadn't had to damage them to use them. One was The Little Mermaid from its 1997 theatrical release, and then there was The Lion King from the 2002 IMAX release, which were both full size 27x40.

The Little Mermaid 1997.jpg

There was also a succession of smaller mini-posters over the years for then-new Pixar titles like Ratatouille, WALL-E and Up.

Now, I just don't have the room anymore because the walls where I'm living now are already covered with posters. I love the Toy Story 4 one they have available now, and I do have enough points to get it. But since I don't have space for it, it would probably just sit in a corner in its tube, as the last few posters I redeemed before admitting my space issue have.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
rewards.png

This picture was included in an email from Disney Movie Insiders on September 8 which announced the return of the physical rewards.

Of the titles pictured, The Little Mermaid, Coco and The Force Awakens are already available.

The Blu-ray of the Beauty and the Beast remake and the 4K edition of Black Panther are not. Neither are the Olaf and Ian toys. They look like bobbleheads or maybe Funko pops.

Their inclusion in the photo would seem to imply that they are among the additional rewards that will be available in the near future. It will be interesting to see if the Facebook page gives a sneak preview of this week's new rewards again tomorrow or if it's just a "log in and see the surprise on Wednesday" sort of thing from now on.

I already have Beauty and the Beast and don't need Black Panther in 4K because I have the standard Blu-ray. So those titles wouldn't do much for me personally. But they are big popular titles so would be a nice addition to the rewards catalog whenever they surface.

I'm not really a huge fan of them holding rewards back to add weekly. Although by all means it is reasonable for them to occasionally refresh the catalog, I wish they would just put up everything that is going to be available soon-ish at once so that we can make informed redemption decisions. I would be annoyed if something rare or difficult to obtain that I want pops up immediately after I spend points to get something like Coco or Brave which is not that hard to find.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The Monday update from the Facebook page listing new rewards that will be available on Wednesday is back.

This week's Hot Reward for only 400 points will be the 3D-inclusive release of Finding Dory. It says the regular price of this will be 2,000 points, so that's a substantial discount and would be a really nice get this week if you need that title. The discount will be available 9/30-10/6 or while supplies last. Also, of course, it will have a code in there to redeem when you get it, so you sort of even get some of those points back, making it even less expensive overall. I can't remember if the 3D codes are worth 150 or 200 points, but in either case, when you factor that in plus the discounted price, this will be one of the highest-end sets offered at one of the lowest-ever prices for something of this nature. I already have Finding Dory, but if I didn't, I would snag this for sure.

Other movies that will be added this week will be the Blu-ray release of Beauty and the Beast live-action (as I predicted), and the 3D-inclusive release of Inside Out. These are listed as "1,500 - 2,000 points," but it doesn't say which is which. Presumably Inside Out is the more expensive one because it includes the 3D.

Posters this week listed for 800 points each include the final cast-big-heads posters for Black Panther and Infinity War.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
-long shot, but try emailing them asking for an exchange.

I got this response just now:

Thank you for reaching out to Disney Movie Insiders and for your continued patience. We are currently looking into your case, we will be sure to send you another message as soon as we have more information. Thank you so much for your understanding.

I am taking this as an encouraging sign that it is not an automatic no.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I ordered The Lion King on Wednesday and then ordered Brave today after entering some more codes.

The order number I received for Brave is +6,511 numbers above the order number I received for Brave.

Does anyone know if the order numbers are actually sequential? If so, that means they received 6,511 orders between last Wednesday morning and this afternoon when I placed my second order. This doesn't really matter too much but might be interesting in determining how busy they have been since the relaunch.

The Lion King is still shown as "in process," too, and I have not received a shipping email. I guess it might just come without prior notice based on what some of the rest of you have said.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I got the Blu-ray only version of Ultron for 400 points or so as my last reward before the site changeover, when they were having that blowout clearance sale to get rid of stock before the transition.

Did yours ship yet @Osato? Or did you just order it now?

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Out of curiosity, has anyone who ordered a reward recently gotten a shipping confirmation on it yet?

My order from Wednesday has been received and is "in process," but I haven't been notified that it actually shipped yet. Obviously, this isn't urgent, but it would be nice to know about how long it takes for them to fulfill orders. I know that in the past before the year-long hiatus of physical rewards, they said it would be 4-6 weeks to receive an item but it never took anywhere near that long.
I redeemed points for the 4K of Avengers: Age of Ultron about a week ago, and surprisingly the order arrived yesterday -- without any shipping email.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
A
I ordered The Lion King on Wednesday and then ordered Brave today after entering some more codes.

The order number I received for Brave is +6,511 numbers above the order number I received for Brave.

Does anyone know if the order numbers are actually sequential? If so, that means they received 6,511 orders between last Wednesday morning and this afternoon when I placed my second order. This doesn't really matter too much but might be interesting in determining how busy they have been since the relaunch.

The Lion King is still shown as "in process," too, and I have not received a shipping email. I guess it might just come without prior notice based on what some of the rest of you have said.

Don't know for sure, but I think so.

9/16 my first order and the last order I made on the 20th were over 20K apart.
Actually the last order I made on 9/16 at 9pm was about 6K different than my first order that went through at 6pm ET so 6K orders in 3 hours. As best as I've been able to find out there were less than 350 orders that actually were able to get through from Noon to 6pm ET with the website issues.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I was able to place another order today for Coco. Its order number is +1438 above the order number I got for Brave yesterday. So if they are indeed sequential, they got 1438 orders in a little over a day since I was able to order the previous one.

I almost wiped myself out to do this, so I won't be getting anything else in the immediate future. At least there will be 500 points combined across the three Blu-rays I've ordered in the last week, so that will bring me back up somewhat. But probably not enough to get something else for a while.

I guess I got the points in order to be able to spend them. While I don't regret adding any of these three titles to my collection, I do hope there's nothing incredibly rare added soon that I would regret missing out on because I spent these points.

I'm still waiting to hear back from customer relations regarding their conclusion on Iron Man issue. I hope they will just give it to me. I do want it but figured that with a limited number of points and extremely high point values across the board, it was better to start with the two Pixar titles I didn't have at all, rather than a double dip for extras taking precedence over something totally new. If they don't give it to me, I might well look into the used route.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
WHat approximate range was your 6/23 order? I'm trying to get an idea how many orders were placed in Week 1.

It appears at the beginning of 9/16 they reset the beginning number to 58000000 -- there were a couple people who were able to push orders through in the first hour or two that had orders below 10. It sounds like Week 2 there's been around 8000 at least between your 1st and 3rd.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Small updates -- thanks Jake for the PM
1st week -- it appears around 25000 orders were placed going by order dates
2nd week -- a little over 8000

. Links now active, but it appears the site is crashing again

Inside Out Ultimate Collector's Edition Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack + Digital Code 2000pts
Beauty And The Beast (2017) Blu-ray Combo Pack + Digital Code 1500
FINDING Dory Ultimate Collector's Edition Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack + Digital Code 400 SOLD OUT

Marvel Studios' The Avengers: Infinity War One Sheet Poster 800
Marvel Studios' Black Panther Final One Sheet Poster 800 SOLD OUT

SOLD OUT ITEMS in 1st couple weeks
Marvel Studios' Iron Man 3 Final One Sheet Poster 850
Marvel Studios' Avengers: Endgame Final One Sheet Poster 750
Zootopia Teaser Poster 500
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Final One Sheet Poster 400 (it was returned to stock at 800 pts)

Marvel Studios' Black Panther Funko Pop! Nakia 750
Mulan Funko Pop! Warrior Mulan 750
Mulan Funko Pop! Villager Mulan 750
Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker Funko Pop! Finn 400 (added 9/23)

Frozen 2 Lithograph 1250 (added 9/23)

$10 Ta Da Mickey Gift Card 1000 ( I would expect this to be restocked or replaced by a similar item soon)

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Thanks for the heads up, I just picked up the 3D Finding Dory too. I’ve never seen it and I actually am in a small minority of folks who didn’t enjoy the first one...but I’ve got babies and one day they’ll probably want to see it. And my wife likes the movies. At that price it’s worth it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks