Not a fan of HTB's but.............

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Adams, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

My dad purchased pioneer's htd 520. sounds pretty good for a htb. speakers are obviously it's weak point. but it has dolby digital, prologic 2 and dts. power output is better than the sony strde445 that it replaced. All in all, a good beginning system, or system that work good for someone like my dad who is not into the whole ht scene but wants a half decent system.

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I have the HTP600 as a bedroom/computer system, and it does pretty good for it's price. I would have (actually i think i did), however, suggested one of the Pioneer packages that had a separate receiver and dvd player. The 725 package is worth the price you would pay for just the 811S receiver and 656 DVD video/audio player. It's also a 6.1 setup out of the box.
    Depending on how much your dad paid, and where he got it, i would suggest giving the 725 package a look. I would even suggest the 600 package over the 520. I've never been a fan of integrated receivers/dvd players. I was able to pick up my 600 package (711 receiver, 353 dvd player, 5 speakers, sub) for $320 shipped on ebay.
    Hope this helps [​IMG]

3. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

I have the 810 myself, it's great. i was just saying that it was pretty good sounding considering what it is. I would never buy it. but, for someone wanting ease of use, and single unit installation, this is a great choice....