What's new

Nostalgia...Where have all the ENTERTAINERS gone? (1 Viewer)

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
OK...let me preface this by saying that I'm a total sucker for all the old-style Hollywood classics. That said, I'm here to mourn the apparent loss of a whole category from that by-gone era which seems to be sadly missing today, and that is...the Entertainment EXTRAVAGANZA...

My current nostalgia pangs were spurred, specifically, by a 5-movie Busby Berkley block on TCM last night. Those over-the-top (and I mean that in a GOOD way) choreographed numbers never cease to amaze and fascinate me.

Likewise all the old Esther Williams water ballet numbers... An exquisitely beautiful art form...which she made look SO easy and graceful. I miss it.

Gene Kelly...Fred Astaire...Ann Miller...Eleanor Powell.. All sheer poetry in motion.

Russ Tamblyn's extended dance number during the "toy party" scene in "Tom Thumb"...and it was the real deal. (He was already a highly accomplished dancer, gynmast, and acrobat at the time.) I still laugh, smile and sing along...and drop my jaw...every time I watch it. Wow...

And those are just a few off the top of my head, but they're all from a very long list from back when entertainers such as these did exactly that...they exhibited some extraordinary talents to thoroughly entertain an audience.

I honestly miss the performances of all of these truly gifted entertainers, and the vehicles which showcased them.

Not to say that today's entertainers, or today's movies, aren't good. I guess I just lament the fact that (to borrow an already-overused cliche)...they really just don't make 'em like that anymore.

Am I the only one who misses them?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Linda, nice post and I agree with you. But musicals such as those of yore just don't seem to be on Hollywood's radar screen any longer. A bygone era, sadly.

RodneyT

Stunt Coordinator
Just think, Hollywood could still be churning out those old-style Hollywood musicals and comedies, filled with todays stars, and be utter rubbish. Or, you could watch all the classics and thoroughly enjoy them. Personally, I am thankful that Adam Sandler and his ilk dont try any of those old comedies, when verbal humour was the order of the day. Erch.
Granted, its disappointing that "Entertain" has often been missing from our entertainment, but I an slightly thankful that todays bunch of stars dont have a chance to ruin what is, IMO, the lost art of real entertainment.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I know just how you feel. Most of my favorite movies were made before I was born. But I've made it a life-time pre-occupation to see as many old films as I can on the big screen at revival and rep theaters mostly in the L.A. area. When new prints and restorations of old movies are projected on big screens today, they still weave the same magic spell. The power of old films is undiminished.

The tone has changed.
People used to enjoy spending time with their favorite stars and weren't critical or too demanding.

Today's movies are darker in spirit and in attitude. Compare CHICAGO or PHANTOM OF THE OPERA to the older musicals.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
most of the 'entertainers' like Astaire, rogers, kelly etc went out with the studio system in the late 50s early sixties. We still have movie stars, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks