Nostalgia in your DVD collection, is it important to you?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James L White, Aug 21, 2002.

1. James L White

James L White Supporting Actor

I love 80's movies, they just have a different "feel" to them than most of the movies/Tv shows made since

2. Rich Romero

Rich Romero Supporting Actor

Definitely. Nightmare on Elm Streets, Friday the 13ths, Forrest Gump, Wizard of Oz, Labyrinth are all in my collection for that reason.

3. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Much of my DVD collection and most of my CD collection consists of stuff that predates my birth.

4. KyleK

KyleK Second Unit

MatthewA,
    Same with me. Whenever people look at my CD's someone always says, "What the hell is an 'Electric Light Orchestra'" or "This is crap, where's the Creed and Papa Roach?"

5. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    You poor thing. All the people who recognize the music in my collection are over 30, and I was born in 1983.

6. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

I bought the Nightmare on Elm Street Box when it came out for nostalgic reasons.

7. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I'm not sure I really am following this thread. I have tons of movies that predate my birth, but that can hardly be called nostalgia, unless you believe in reincarnation. [​IMG]. As for nostalgia itself, I have found it a horrible reason to buy dvds. The only dvds I've ever bought that I regret are ones I remember fondly seeing as a kid, that now look horrible to me (e.g., Earthquake). Now, whenever I get nostalgic for some film from my youth, I make sure I see it again first before purchasing.

8. Gabe D

Gabe D Cinematographer

I certainly own a few DVDs for nostalgia reasons. Movies I liked when I was a kid, like The North Avenue Irregulars, The Black Hole and Candleshoe.
    One movie I absolutely loved as a little kid was The Hideaways with Ingrid Bergman. I snapped the DVD up when I saw it at Circuit City for about 5 bucks. I could only stand to watch about ten minutes of it before I turned it off. How I loved this piece of crap, even at age 4 or 5, is beyond me. Still, I'm proud to have it in my collection. (I had been trying to find it for ages.)

9. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

Nostalgia factors into a portion of my collection. The important thing is for the film to be able to hold up well for me now.
    Some examples would be many of the Harryhausen films, prime Universal Horror (Frankenstein, Bride, Mummy, Invisible man, etc.), Hammer Horror, 50's Sci-fi (THEM!, Day the earth stood still, The Thing, etc.), the original King Kong, Leone/Eastwood Spaghetti westerns, 60's James Bond films, etc. All of which I've watched on TV as a kid/teenager growing up and they still hold up as quality films IMO.
    There are many more films that I enjoyed as a kid, teenager or into my 20's that I no longer care for or that I think are just plain lousy now.
    As a kid I'd watch just about anything that involved the out of the ordinary (many Grade-b to Grade-z sci-fi & horror films). Some of which I've re-watched on cable over the years & wondered what the hell was wrong with me for enjoying them. [​IMG]
    As a teenager slasher/gore films (Friday the 13th's, Halloween sequels, Driller Killer, etc.) were the rage. Now I can't stand watching any of them save the original Halloween which still holds up well.
    I enjoyed the 80's teenage comedies (John Hughes, etc.) originally when they came out. Now I just cringe whenever I catch these on cable. I can't change the channel fast enough. [​IMG]
    Another type in my early 20's was Violent Action films which again save for a few quality films like Die Hard, Predator, Early Hong Kong John Woo & a few select others, the rest of the majority don't hold up well for me.
    Due to the fact that my tastes have evolved over the years along with the fact that some films just don't hold up well I'd never buy a film on DVD for nostalgia only.

10. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Well, George and Brook pretty much summed up my feelings on nostalgic movies - most of the flicks I liked when I was younger have lost their appeal. Or maybe I'm just a cranky old snob... [​IMG]

11. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Nostalgia hasn't worked well for me either. I bought Airplane, watched it once and traded it as fast as I could. Bought Dark Crystal and don't like it anymore but held on to it for when my kids get old enough to watch it.

I've avoided buying all the 80's comedies because I have a feeling they won't hold up for me and I don't want to spoil the memories.

I do have a few things I couldn't resist, like The Last Starfighter and I just picked up Clash of the Titans, but in general I try to make sure that I either totally love the movie, or have seen it recently enough to know that I still like it and would want to watch it over and over.