1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

NOSTALGIA FAMILY VIDEO

Discussion in 'DVD' started by PODER, May 3, 2016.

1. Message #1 of 29 May 3, 2016
    Last edited: May 4, 2016
    PODER

PODER Supporting Actor

PETER JABLONSKI
    Has anyone out there ordered DVDS from Nostalgia Family Video? And if so, would you be willing to comment
    on the quality of their releases? I just noticed a few interesting titles, but have been stung before, so would
    like an assessment before ordering. Many thanks for any help.

2. Dan McW

Dan McW Second Unit

Dan
    If we're talking about the same company, I think they've been shut down or otherwise gone out of business. I have Home Sweet Homicide on a VHS from them; it looks like a fair-to-slightly rough 16mm dupe.

3. PODER

PODER Supporting Actor

PETER JABLONSKI
    Dan ... my error. Although I had it right in the Tag, I asked about Nostalgia HOME Video in my question. It should be Nostalgia FAMILY Video, which in the new Critics' Choice Catalog has such titles as IF THIS BE SIN, HELLZAPOPPIN' and KING SOLOMON'S MINES (1937). With list prices of 9.99 I'm wondering about the quality. Sorry for the mix-up!

4. borisfw

borisfw Screenwriter

Frank
    I bought The Clairvoyant with Claude Rains and King's Rhapsody with Errol Flynn from Amazon for $8.99. I thought The Clairvoyant looked pretty good . King's Rhapsody also looked ok . I also bought The Shadow Returns . The Shadow Returns looked ok for the most part but had some audio dropouts in the second half of the film .

5. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Don't know about the other titles, but Hellzapoppin' is probably port of the overseas release as it is unavailable in the USA from Universal.

6. PODER

PODER Supporting Actor

PETER JABLONSKI
    Just went ahead and ordered HELLZAPOPPIN'. At that price, it seems worth taking a chance. I'll report back on
    the quality. And thanks for the above responses!

7. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    Was "King's Rhapsody" in 16:9? I ask because it's available on a pressed disc in the UK (in a lovely anamorphic print).

8. Pete York

Pete York Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Bootleggers. Brent Reid's a member here, maybe you could ask him if he knows anything more about them.

Brent Reid and JoHud like this.
  9. borisfw

borisfw Screenwriter

Frank
    If i knew i would gladly tell you . I have no clue how to tell an anamorphic picture . Unless it states it on the cover . What i can tell you is the picture is wide screen with black above and below the picture . The picture doesn't seem to be distorted so I assume it's in the proper ratio . Also the movie is on a burnt disc not pressed . For a movie I've never seen and have never seen available in the US i was happy with the product .

10. Movie Maven

Movie Maven Stunt Coordinator

ed
    I purchased HELLZAPOPPIN from Movies Unlimited couple of years ago..very good quality only it was dvd-r

11. Brent Reid

Brent Reid Supporting Actor

Brent
    They're massive thieves who sell substandard product. I personally know several label owners who have had their releases ripped off by them. They were also sued for copyright infringement by Hallmark Entertainment and Optimum/StudioCanal. I'm sure they have many other victims.

12. borisfw

borisfw Screenwriter

Frank
    I've found their product to be hit or miss . Some are pretty decent prints some so so . I have no idea who they do or don't rip off . All i know is that the movies i have bought from them,through Amazon, are not available anywhere else . Better than nothing as far as i'm concerned .

13. PODER

PODER Supporting Actor

PETER JABLONSKI
    Reporting back on HELLZAPOPPIN'. It looks perfectly fine. Clean, clear, no dust dirt or drop-outs, etc. As for the picture
    itself, I do wish I could compare it to the Broadway production. The pre-"Laugh-In" anything goes beginning 15 minutes had us howling, but then a plot rears its ugly head. There's a completely unmemorable love duo, and a cringe inducing second
    couple consisting of Martha Raye and Misha Auer. But there's also The Congeroo ... a group of black dancers doing the most astonishing and athletic jitterbug I've ever seen. Of course, it has no connection whatsoever with anything else, and so could easily have been snipped for showings in the South. And up close and personal, Olsen and Johnson are pretty creepy, I must admit. Bottom line: A film about which I've always been curious and an excellent print.

14. Brent Reid

Brent
    Of course "It looks perfectly fine." It's stolen from one of the European DVDs and, to say the least, will be a lower quality PAL-NTSC transfer. It will certainly suffer from motion artifacting and other issues.

More importantly, it's already been established that this is a pirated release, so why do you insist on continuing to promote it?

15. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    So we've had a discussion on this between mods and owners, and we are currently siding with Brent on this one. It looks like a disreputable copy from a shady company. If you can find data to show that these guys have a legit claim on Hellzapopin we can reconsider but until then we are going to consider it an illegal bootleg. Thanks!

Brent Reid likes this.
  16. PODER

PODER Supporting Actor

PETER JABLONSKI
    My apologies if I've overstepped some bounds. My initial post was a straight forward question. Shortly after, I said I'd post a review when I received my copy. Both posts were before the very knowledgeable Mr. Reid posted his comments. My only reason to report back on the quality was because I'd said I would. I am in no way "continuing to promote it", and regret that I've ruffled some feathers. I posted, I up-dated, I learned. Please feel free to delete this entire conversation if you feel it necessary.

Brent Reid and Sam Posten like this.
  17. David Weicker

David Weicker Cinematographer

David
    Before this thread goes away, can someone please post a link to where it was "established that this was a pirated release"

18. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    We won't be closing the thread or deleting it. David: we have to rely on insider insight on this one, we aren't IP lawyers, detectives or the like. Multiple people we trust have informed us that these releases are not legit and we have yet to have anyone stand up for them and say they have licensed the material accordingly. If you (or anyone else reading this )know of folks that can suitably refute the illegitimate claims please PM me or email [email protected]

Thanks!

19. gcardu10

gcardu10 Agent

Greg C.
    Amazon, Deep Discount and Movies Unlimited all list Hellzapoppin' for purchase on their websites (though Amazon and Deep Discount say it's not in their current stock).

If this is a pirated title, it's very sad that all three (supposedly reputable) sites are carrying such items without doing their due diligence.

20. Message #20 of 29 Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    Brent Reid

Brent
    Unsurprisingly, there's been no word from Jeremy Brunner, the unscrupulous individual behind Nostalgia Family Video. If anyone else feels they'd have more luck contacting him, they're welcome to PM me for his details.

Here's some info about a 2011/12 court case brought against him by Warners and Fox, with a long list of ripped off titles. Back in late 2003/early 2004 he doubled his already considerable output when he took over the 'inventory' of fellow longterm copyright infringers, Hollywood's Attic.

He lives in Baker, Oregon, and when not appropriating others' property without permission, he dabbles in a local rock band named X-Drive (it's a car reference). In a recent interview, when asked about any other interests or hobbies, he had the nerve to say, "Film preservation/restoration I guess….I’ve been involved with film most of my life in some form or another. Collecting it, selling it, trading it, cataloging it, transferring it, smelling it etc." He forgot to say "stealing it".

Hellzapoppin', by the way, is owned by Universal and all the legitimate European releases clearly credit them on the discs and covers. There's a front and rear scan of NFV's cover in its Amazon listing; obviously it has no mention of Universal. Do take a look on Amazon.com at all his mostly copyrighted (by others) inventory of 500-odd units: search the Movies & TV category for "Nostalgia Family". Report back if you can find a single studio credit or copyright symbol. You won't.

rjd0309 and Randy Korstick like this.