What's new

Nostalghia--short version? (1 Viewer)

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I watched Nostalghia last night from my recording off of TCM. The version I saw was a short 77 minutes, and everywhere I've looked it says the running time is around 125 minutes. Does anyone know what was missing from this version? I noticed that there was a lengthy blank scene, which I fast-forwarded through, right before the main character opens the door with the mirror in front of it and see a reflection of an elderly image of himself.

~T

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
First of all... fast-forwarding Tarkovsky??? I presume, then, that you missed the entire jaw-dropping entrance of the dog previously seen only in flashback?

Again, fast-forwarding Tarkovsky? It may well be that this director is not for you, but you're not even giving him a chance. The rhythms and sensation of the actual passage of time and its hypnotic, enveloping effect on the viewer is the essence of his style. It's the means by which he attempt to provoke a transcendent, religious experience in the viewer. My suggestion is that you're better off not watching his films until you're ready.

As for the 77 minute thing, I seem to recall that one of the Tarkovsky films was inexplicably cut-off midway through during TCM's "festival". As I recall, they re-aired it at a later date. I'm guessing it must have been Nostalghia that was cut short, and thus explains your much briefer runtime.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Al, once again, I fast-forwarded through a blank scene; for example, a black screen that one would see before a movie starts. If this was part of the movie, then I shouldn't have fast-forwarded, but I assumed something was wrong with the movie or recording.

For your information, I have seen Andrei Rublev, The Mirror, Solaris, and Stalker, and I will be watching The Sacrifice next.

~T

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Ohhhhhh... I thought you were talking about the scene in the room that goes from dream/flashback to reality with the German Shephard that comes padding out of the bathroom, blah blah... my apologies!

But you are quite right that a blank screen is not part of the movie - I should've read your post more closely!

Just out of curiosity, did you rent/buy the discs or are you just watching the VHS recordings from TCM? The version of Andrei Rublev aired by TCM is the "complete" 205 minute version, but it's a much uglier and pockmarked print than the one Criterion used (and nowhere near the quality of Ruscico's, even though that's the shorter "official Soviet" version). Ruscico's Solaris disc is also a huge improvement over the version shown on TCM. And Ruscico will be releasing STALKER sometime in December - maybe even tomorrow!

I didn't see the broadcasts of Mirror/Sacrifice/Nostalghia, but all are on decent DVDs. Fox Lorber's Nostalghia disc is a non-anamorphic port of the old Criterion laserdisc, but it's head and shoulder above their usual efforts - plus you'll get to see the whole thing! And Kino's Sacrifice disc includes a feature-length documentary "Directed by Andrei Tarkovsky".

And TCM should be roundly applauded for the US premier of Chris Marker's excellent documentary on Tarkovsky, "One Day in the Life of Andrei Arsenevich", as well as the first ever North American showing of Tarkovsky's diploma film, "Steamroller and Violin". Thankfully, those were shown in their entirety!

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
No need to apologize, Al.

I'm guessing that the blank screen part was where the movie was shortened.

I've been watching Tarkovsky's movies off of VHS recordings from the TCM tribute, but I saw Andrei Rublev on the Sundance Channel. Thanks for the information about the DVDs. According to Darren, The Mirror DVD is crappy?

~T

Nathan_H

Second Unit
For what it's worth, TCM has acknowledged that they screwed up and will be re-broadcasting the film this month (Jan 2002).

Darren H

Second Unit
I thought you were talking about the scene in the room that goes from dream/flashback to reality with the German Shephard that comes padding out of the bathroom
Not much to add, except to say that that those scenes of him alone in his room with the dog are the *loneliest* I have ever seen.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Darren, yes I've seen The Mirror.

Nostalghia will be shown on TCM this Friday at 11PM. I'll be watching again.

Onto something else, a couple of days ago I had a dream that I was watching a new Tarkovsky movie. I don't remember much other than at the end there was a shot of a little boy starring expressionless to the camera. Afterwards, there was a shot of blue water with a thin line of fire slowly moving across on top of it.

~T

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Darn it, you guys! Now I need a Tarkovsky fix! Guess I'll be staying home Friday night...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks