Nosferatu in color!?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StephenT, Aug 28, 2001.

1. StephenT

StephenT Stunt Coordinator

I watched Shadow of the Vampire tonight, and it made me want to see Nosferatu. I looked into the DVDs, and there have been two releases. The first is OOP, and the second is said to be in COLOR!! Huh? Did they actually colorize this movie? I have the OOP version in my cue at Netflix. I hope to get that one. I guess my question is did they really release a movie from 1922 colorized? That's disgusting.
    ------------------
    Stephen

2. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I don't yet have it, but I believe it's correctly tinted. This was actually a common practice in the silent days. It's not the Ted Turner brand of colorization. With tinting, they'll, say, tint the entire frame blue for a night scene. IIRC, Buster Keaton used tinting to great effect in The General. By tinting it in sepia tones, the movie almost looks like a Matthew Brady photograph come to life.
    BTW, slightly off-topic, but an even older form of colorization had women employed in hand painting each frame of a movie. The effect was usually fairly terrible, but it did have the interesting effect of making each copy of the film unique.

3. StephenT

Ah, if that's the way it's supposed to look then great. I thought Ted Turner when I read color in the description. I'll check out the newer one. Thanks!
    ------------------
    Stephen

4. Richard Carnahan

Richard Carnahan Stunt Coordinator

The color version is the 1979 Werner Herzog remake with the late Klaus Kinski--a pretty good film in itself!
    BTW, Image released a new edition of the 1922 NOSFERATU earlier this year with extra features and improved picture quality.

5. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

6. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
  7. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

There are, I think, also 2 other verions of the original Nosferatu on DVD. One with music by the band Type O Negative (!) and another with music by other industrial/goth type bands. I'd really like to hear the Type O Negative version, but being that I have yet to see the original version, and really want the new Image release, I'll have to pass for now.
    ------------------
    DVDs | CDs
    "While the police are at it, they should find out where my intern is. I asked for those copies 20 minutes ago!"

8. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    even parts of The Great Train Robbery (1903) were tinted (in some prints).

9. StephenT

Thanks, Greg. That's exactly what I wanted to know. I wasn't referring to the 1979 remake, but to the two versions of the 1922 film put out by Image. However, now I'll have to check out this remake too! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Stephen