What's new

Nosferatu (1922) (1 Viewer)

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
I have the inferior R4 version of this movie and am thinking of replacing it with the R1 Image disc.

The problem is that there are two more versions (both R2) available that may be even more interesting.

The first is a 2-disc special edition with the following features:

Commentary Track

Trailer of 'Shadow Of The Vampire'

Special Footage (Narrative Depiction of Supplementary Images of Original Sketches, Artworks and Postcards - Basis for Film Production

Theatrical Posters of The Time

Origins of Vampires

Nosferatu's Controversy

Sepia & Black and White Versions On Separate Discs

The second is a version from the British Film Institute with these features:

Video Essay by Professor Sir Christoper Frayling (Author Of 'Vampires')

On-screen Biographies of FW Murnau and James Bernard (Who Composed the New Music Score)

Also, on their website, the BFI say the following:

"The print has been restored by the MŸnchner Filmmuseum and the Cineteca del Comune di Bologna, and replicates the tints and tones revealed in the nitrate original. Presented by Photoplay Productions, this version also features a new music score by James Bernard, who scored many of the classic Hammer horror movies - including the 1958 Dracula."

Does anybody have one or both versions I've mentioned above and/or can anyone comment on the quality of the transfers/special features?

Or should I still go with the Image R1 disc?

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
My understanding is that the R2 disc is the same transfer as the R1 special edition; the commentary is also the same--just licensed over to R2. Where the R2 falls down a bit is in just sepia toning instead of doing proper color tinting; Nosferatu has poor day-for-night so having blues for night really helps with the mood.

Remember, of course, that in R1 you want the version with the reddish cover picture, not the black & white first pressing. There is an enormous difference in the picture quality between the two.

I don't know anything much about the BFI edition from Brownlow, although I understand that it too is coming to Region 1 in the next few months. James Bernard's score should be worth having though the ones on the Image disc are also quite good. I intend to own them both.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Well, the BFI are being exceptionally slow at getting the discs on the shelves, but from what I've heard, the disc is excellent, with the (genuine) restoration removing much of the major damage and splices, etc.

Indeed, I saw the restoration with the new score on Channel Four several years ago, and it looked highly impressive then, even on analogue broadcast television. It's wonderful to be able to replace the VHS recording I had of it.

And, owning the Image disc, I can safely say neither score can hold a candle to the wonderful James Bernard full orchestral score, which, in my head, has become forever married to the images.

Get the BFI disc, then the Image version for the supplements. Once I get the BFI disc, I'm going to do a comparison review with the Image disc.

Gil Jawetz

Stunt Coordinator
Glad I've held on on getting this. If the BFI disc does show up in R1 I'd love to see the restoration.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
As for the extra footage, in comparison with the Image SE remaster by David Sheperd - I definitely noticed an extra shot of Hutter slipping on his jacket in the opening sequence before running into the garden to pick flowers. There were no scenes, just a few shots that were restored to the BFI's print that make some of the cuts far less awkward.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Thanks for the comments, Jon.

As I'm not an expert on the subject of restoration of this film (or any other), I was wondering if you, or somebody else with knowledge on the subject, could answer this question on ths BFI version of Nosferatu:

-The film was restored by the Munchner Filmmuseum and The Cineteca dal Comune di Bologna, so I expected the film to be with its original German intertitles and (optional) British subtitles. Were the English intertitles created for the Channel Four television broadcast, and if so, do the intertitles from the original version have the same font/style? (or are they lost?)

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I don't know. The Channel Four and BFI versions appear to be from exactly the same gorgeous digital masters.

Since it was a joint effort between Photoplay and Channel Four, two British companies, I assume only English titles were ever created.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks