Norton Ghost questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon_Are, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

I recently bought Norton Ghost 2002 with the intention of preserving/restoring my hard drive should it crash. Upon installing Ghost, though, an early screen indicates that I must create a floppy boot disk (there is apparently no way to create a boot disk on a CDRW). Unfortunately, I have not used my A drive in a few years and I come to find that it is no longer recognized.

Here are some questions that come to mind:

1-Is it necessary to create a boot disk in order to clone the hard drive?
    2-Is there a way to make a boot disk in the D drive?
    3-If not, should I replace my A drive? Or is there a way to troubleshoot my current drive?
    4-(and this one has me baffled): What, exactly, does clone mean in this context? Does Ghost copy every little file on my hard drive to CDRW? If so, how does it make it fit?
    5-Is my assumption correct, that this (using Ghost) is an effective and relatively simple method of completely restoring your hard drive to what it was before it crashed?

I know this is a bushel full of questions, but I'll take any help you can give.

Thanks to all,

Jon

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Is it necessary to create a boot disk in order to clone the hard drive?

Ghost only runs from DOS so you will need a boot disk to get there. However a boot disk created from Windows 98 or available from bootdisk.com will work just fine. You can also create a boot disk from a CD burning package such as Nero or Easy CD.

Is there a way to make a boot disk in the D drive?

Depends what the 'D' drive is.

If not, should I replace my A drive? Or is there a way to troubleshoot my current drive?

Checking the cabling should be the first thing you do.

What, exactly, does clone mean in this context? Does Ghost copy every little file on my hard drive to CDRW? If so, how does it make it fit?

Ghost makes an exact dupe of the drive or partition. It can only do so either an other drive or partition (i.e. making an exact 1:1 copy) or in the form of an image file which can be saved to a different drive/partition to the one you're copying or directly to CD-R. If writing to CD, it will use as many blank discs as it needs, spanning the image file across them.

Is my assumption correct, that this (using Ghost) is an effective and relatively simple method of completely restoring your hard drive to what it was before it crashed?

It is indeed. How recently did you buy it though? Ghost 2003 is superior in many ways and doesn't require a boot disk, using a 'virtual partition' to get you into DOS.

3. Aaron Copeland

Aaron Copeland Second Unit

Aaron
    Rob,

I have a question relating to Ghost 2003. I'm about to install a new drive that I would like to use as my boot drive. I ran the clone utility and everything seemed to go smoothly. I accessed the secondary drive and all the file folders seemed to be there and both drives showed the same amount of used space. So I rebooted, entered the bios, and told the PC to boot off the second drive. But it didn't work. After the initial POST screen I got a blank screen with a single message that said, "Press any key to reboot".

So what happened here? Why won't the my PC boot off the clone drive? Is it necessary to switch the HDDs positions on the IDE cable (both are currently on the same channel) even though I can tell the PC to boot off the other drive in the BIOS?

Info:
    Win XP Pro
    Both drives NTFS
    Norton Ghost 2003

4. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Aaron, it sounds like the boot track hasn't been copied over correctly. Has the (new) boot partition been made active? You'll need to check for that. The GDISK utility supplied with Ghost (which runs only from DOS) will tell you the exact configuation of your drives.

You might be able to repair it by booting off the XP CD and going into Repair Console, then trying either the fixboot or fixmbr commands (not sure which).

I know Ghost has a couple of command switches for dealing with boot records but I can't remember the details. It's not something I've ever tried to be honest. All the work I do with Ghost has been with image files and I've restored boot partitions from those many times in the past with no problems whatsoever.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I would try flipping the cable positions for the hard drives (and make sure the hard drives are jumpered to the CS position).

6. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Rob (or others),

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I'm just going to suggest that you buy another hard drive of the same size you are currently using, and use Ghost to duplicate the original hard drive to the new hard drive.

I've been backing up my entire hard drives in this manner for the past 5-6 years, and it takes less than an hour for the ghosting to complete.

I made a bootable floppy disk that has the Ghost executable on it, and once I boot from the floppy, I run the Ghost.exe (or whatever its name is for you), and tell the program to do a disk-to-disk copy. Once it gets going, you go and do something else while the program creates a duplicate bootable hard drive for you (if you ghost your hard drive with the operating system on it).

Trying to make CD-R backups of your hard drive seems time-consuming and cumbersome.

8. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Why do I need to make a boot disk in order to make a back-up copy of my hard drive?

You need a boot disk to get you into DOS which is the only place the Ghost 'engine' program will run from. You don't *need* the one the Ghost Boot Wizard creates, any will do.

The parts of Ghost you see installed into Windows do not perform the backup. Ghost Explorer lets you look and restore from image files while the boot disk wizard is fairly self explanatory.

You need a boot disk. Get your floppy drive working and run the boot disk wizard. Alternatively, go to www.bootdisk.com and get one (the Windows 98 ones work fine). Find the Ghostpe.exe file that sitting on your hard drive (or copy it from the Ghost CD-ROM) and copy that to the floppy (or another floppy if you have no room). Boot into DOS, run the ghostpe.exe and you're working.

Unfortunately, unless you get your floppy drive working you won't be Ghosting anything.

9. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Patrick - Thanks for the input. Tell me if I'm understanding your system correctly: You have two (more or less) identical hard drives and you periodically and alternately copy one to the other as a method of backing up your entire content? And, should one of the drives fail, you still have the most recently backed up stuff on the remaining drive?

Rob - Since I have Nero, I can make a boot disk on a CDR? If so, assuming I have a boot disk, I boot into DOS, and then what? If you could walk me through this, I'll buy you a beer next time you're in Michigan.

And please, explain it as if you were explaining the mechanics of making a peanut butter & jelly sandwich to a four-year-old ("put this end of the knife into the peanut butter").

Thanks,

Jon

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Jon, yep! Backing up or ghosting your main hard drive periodically depends on how critical your setup/data is to you. I do it once a month, maybe twice a month if I know I'll be loading some apps which may or may not hose my setup (so I could go back to my old setup if the new software hoses me).

11. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Since I have Nero, I can make a boot disk on a CDR? If so, assuming I have a boot disk, I boot into DOS

You can, however Nero will require a boot floppy to read the boot track from to copy to the CD. So if your floppy drive isn't working, you're still in a mess.

Once you manage to get into DOS, I'll help you out with running Ghost. That said, the manual for it is pretty good.

You may want to consider getting the newer version. Ghost 2003 can use a 'virtual partition' thing whereby it bypasses the need for a boot disk completely. You set up the actions you want to take whilst still running Windows and the app will then boot the machine into DOS and automatcally run the job before returning you to Windows. Version 2003 has other features which give it distinct advantages over 2002. It's a much better package all-round really.

12. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

13. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

14. Aaron Copeland

Aaron Copeland Second Unit

Aaron
    Well...I still can't get this damn program to work. I now hate it. Must this really be so difficult...is this really that unusual a task? All I want to do is clone my damn drive. That's it.

I tried your suggestions, Rob, and they didn't work. I also started trying some program called Casper XP I found on CNET, but it was going to take like 4 hours so I canceled that. I now have some program called DriveWizard I'm trying, but it is turning out to be a pain in the ass too. It tells that it can't do it since my source drive is bigger than my destinations drive. Well, gee, no shit...but the amount of actual used space is far smaller than either drive. Ghost recognizes this and will do the clone...except the clone it makes won't boot. Worthless. I'm thinking about trying Partition Magic to resize my active partition to smaller than my source drive so that DriveWizard will do the clone and then use Partition Magic again to resize after the clone process (assuming the clone even boots). But this seems like a lot of hoops to jump through with no guarantee of success for what one would think to be a simple and not too uncommon process.

So if anyone has any further ideas, let me know. It's driving me crazy not getting this to work.

15. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Aaron, are you cloning the drive or the partitions?

Also, did you try swapping the IDE connections?

16. SteveMc

SteveMc Stunt Coordinator

The only part of ghost absolutely essential is the ghost.exe file, which has to be run is a DOS environment. I have a 2002 OEM verision that came with my motherboard and thats the only file it has, so it doesn't have Ghost Explorer or the boot disk wizard. I just copied the EXE to a Win 98 floppy I already had and ran it from there. I have a base image with my basic apps (like adobe, winzip, Office). I was able to burn it directly to my CD-RW. I was able to copy the image of the boot floppy i had to my CD to be able to make that bootable so when I need to restore, all I need is my CD. I thought it was a very simple process.

17. Troy Swope

Troy Swope Stunt Coordinator

Jon:

I PMed you...

18. Tom Wilson

Tom Wilson Auditioning

I used the WindowsXP backup utility to back up my C-drive to another harddrive. I haven't had to use it yet, so I'm not sure it'll do what I expect it to. If Windows get hosed, I can use the floppy I created to restore my operating system, right? I don't might a reformat and reinstall once in a while, but Direcpc is always a pain to get working again.