Norton Firewall 2003 / Internet SSL problem

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Todd Stout, Aug 5, 2003.

1. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

Since last week I have been having problems with Norton Internet Firewall 2003. Everytime I login (or the person who has the other profile logs in), an error message that states, "A valid digital signature was not found for this component (C:PROGRA~1NORTON~2IAMAPP.DLL)" pops up. A search of Symantec's Web site yielded these results:
    Error: "10022: A valid digital signature was not found for this component IAMAPP.DLL" when Norton Internet Security starts
    Error: "A valid digital signature was not found for this component. " (1002,2)

As a result, the firewall software is not running while the PC is on. I am not able to get into the control panel of Norton Firewall because it is prompting me for a "Supervisor's password" which the person that installed the software apparently does not have. He has a 4 digit number that is not being accepted by the program.

Additionally, I am no longer able to connect to Web sites that use SSL verification using either Ineternet Explorer 6 or Netscape 7.2. Sites such as my credit union, Half.com, or a multitude of others that require a username and password are not allowing me access now either. I am not sure if this problem is related to the firewall issue but I assume so. I tried to download Internet Explorer again last night but the downloader couldn't connect to the list of sites to download from (I think due to the SSL issue). I did uninstall Netscape and then reinstall it but that had no effect.

Another piece of information that may be of use is the other user told me last night that he had opened 3-4 emails last week that "did nothing more than dispappear" when he tried to open them using Outlook 2002. I did run Norton Antivirus 2003 on the entire C drive last night and it found no viruses.

Do any of you have any experience with this sort of problem? What is my best route to take to correct this short of reinstalling Windows XP... again.

Thank you.

2. Harris_C

Harris_C Stunt Coordinator

Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing Nortons?

3. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

Norton doesn't seem to want me to uninstall it. I'm being prompted for the Supervisor's Password (which we don't seem to have) when I try to unistall it using Add/Remove programs.

[EDIT]:
    I did just find this article on Symantec's site:
    NIS or NPF unexpectedly prompts for a supervisor password

4. Harris_C

Harris_C Stunt Coordinator

What error message do you receive?

5. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

The error message that pops up whenever I login or the other user logs in under his profile is, "A valid digital signature was not found for this component (C:PROGRA~1NORTON~2IAMAPP.DLL)." Norton Internet Security will not start after that.

From reading through some articles on Symantec's site, it appears as though something in Norton Internet Security is corrupt and that it does indeed need to be uninstalled and reinstalled. The link I added to my last post explains the process for doing so when being prompted for a "supervisor password" (which also happends when things get corrupted).

I guess I'll try that first and see if that fixes the problem. Unfortunately the person that downloaded the Norton 2003 upgrade I don't think bothered keeping the install file for it. He has the 2002 still though. Apparently he can contact Symantec and download 2003 again though.