Norton Anti-Virus 2002 Email pop-up window :-(

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Hugh M, Jan 30, 2002.

1. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

Hi,

I upgraded to NAV 2002. And I'm glad I did blah blah blah.

But, it has this very annoying pop-up window when it scans the outgoing mail for vir(uses, i, ii?) you can minimize it by clicking the minimize button, but that is annoying. I looked in the registry for something, but didn't see what I wanted.

Anybody know how to get rid of this most annoying thing I have ever seen? (almost, not quite)

symantec's explanation is that they put it on the screen so that you don't close your email program while still scanning the outgoing mail. Well, I don't give two thingies about that. I built my computer and now I want the ability to get rid of the pop-up screen.

pop-up screens? have Microsoft and Symantec merged or something?

2. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

You can go into the options and turn off scanning of outgoing email. You don't really need to scan outgoing mail anyway since you're protected from incoming email.

KJP

3. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

well its there for a reason I assume. not the screen, but the outgoing scan.

on another note, I sent myself some attachments with the filename virus.txt.exe and they came right through the incoming scan. shouldn't NAV catch maliciously named attachments like that? in case you didn't know it some flavors of email programs (or after you save them on the disk) will hide the last known extension, so if you double click the file, you run it.

4. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

NAV doesn't care about the names of attachments; instead, it scans the contents for "signatures" that identify known viruses and worms. So, to get an alert, you have to email yourself an actual virus (or the EICAR test string, which you can find on the Symantec website).

KJP

5. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

lol, the other day one of my IT friends was trying to send me a virus to test it, and I couldn't believe we were trying so hard to get one to me. His darn netwrok kept stopping him. whats wrong with this picture?!