What's new

Northwest Passage, and Status of Spencer Tracy box set (1 Viewer)

Jim Bur

Stunt Coordinator
Northwest Passage is one of the absolute best MGM films in the Warners library that has not yet been released on DVD. I had read over a year ago that a Spencer Tracy box set was in the offing for 2006 or shortly thereafter, and I assumed Northwest Passage would likely be included, especially since Captains Courageous, Boys Town and Bad Day at Black Rock had already been separately released. What is the status of the Tracy boxset? Does anyone have any information as to when a Tracy boxset and/or Northwest Passage might be issued? Thanks

Corey

Screenwriter
WB will probably have Test Pilot in there, too since it was a dvd decision nominee way back in 2004 and the digital bits also said the actress was also in production. would also like to have tortilla flat, edward, my son and cass timberlane. edison the man would also be a perfect choice, but it would have to be a double feature with edison, the boy.

Jim Bur

Stunt Coordinator

I have always felt that Stanley and Livingstone and Northwest Passage were Tracy's best films. Since Stanley and Livingstone is a Fox film, it couldn't be included in any Warners boxset of Tracy films. However, I hope Fox will consider releasing it soon, since it is definitely one of the best films in the Fox library that has not yet been released on DVD.

Corey

Screenwriter

Fox usually follows suit with Warners sets, so here's hoping that they release a Spencer Tracy set.

Charles H

Screenwriter
Tracy did a lot of Fox films in the early thirties (UP THE RIVER with Humphrey Bogart was his first film) and THE POWER AND THE GLORY (from a very unusual Preston Sturges script with "narratage" that predates CITIZEN KANE) is one of his most interesting films. In addition to NORTHWEST PASSAGE, I'd hope that a Tracy box includes PLYMOUTH ADVENTURE, CASS TIMBERLANE, and such never-on-home video titles as THE ACTRESS--which is probably a shoo-in--EDWARD, MY SON, THEY GAVE HIM A GUN, THE PEOPLE AGAINST O'HARA, and THE SHOW-OFF.

Jim Bur

Stunt Coordinator

Charles:

Another interesting film that Tracy did for Fox in the early 1930's was the innovative crime drama "Quick Millions" which was written and directed by Rowland Brown. Brown also did another excellent early 30's crime drama for Fox called "Blood Money". It would be great to see either or both of these films out on DVD someday.

c Jim Bur

serenapowell

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Serena
I'm anxiously awaiting this announcement, and I do hope some of my favorite Spencer Tracy films will be included! I'm glad that Test Pilot seems to be a sure thing.

A Guy Named Joe might be of interest to people who've only seen Spielberg's remake, Always, and of course to fans of the great cast (Irene Dunne, Van Johnson, Lionel Barrymore, James Gleason) - Surely this classic deserves a DVD release? Who's with me? :)

I'm also hoping for Keeper Of The Flame - maybe I'm strange but it's my favorite Tracy/Hepburn film! Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo needs a DVD release too... I think there have been many requests for it.

And how about rescuing Father's Little Dividend from public domain hell? Would be nice to include a comedy in the set to showcase Tracy's versatility. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BAMatter