What's new

Northern Exposure: The Complete Series (1 Viewer)

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I finally broke down and bought the Northern Exposure: The Complete Series after experiencing playback problems with some of the double sided DVD's with the individual sets and I have to say, I'm enjoying this series from the very beginning ...

All single sided DVD's and in thinpack DVD cases ... oh, heck yeah ... Now, all I need for is Universal to release Magnum P.I. in this format with only single sided DVD's in thinpack packages.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
My wife and I also just finished watching the entire series from start to finish as we always loved individual episodes back in the day but never were able to start at the beginning nor had we seen any of the final season.

What a stinker the sixth and final season is, too. Getting rid of Fleishmann halfway through because of contractual problems with Rob Morrow was a colossal mistake. Also, we found Chris doing things in season six that his character would have never allowed and then ending the series with him and Maggie getting together was just awkward and odd.
I would love to see a thread in the TV forum discussing this series, however, it would probably be pretty quiet with crickets chirping and tumbleweeds rolling throughout.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
One of my favorite series of all time. Sure would have been nice to get this complete from the start, but oh well. Agreed on the sixth season, even though I though Morrow's arc wasn't that bad.

dberthia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave
My absolute favorite series of all-time. I still try to pretend those late episodes without Joel never happened. As indicated above, after Morrow left, the characters started to act out of character. There was a lot more bickering, and many of my favorite characters became unlikeable. The new doctor and his wife were about as interesting as inert gas. If they could have wrapped things up with Joel's departure, this series would have been perfect.

BTW, the replacement of the original music really detracts from these DVDs- very disappointing.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I have to admit that while I initially watched the entire series when I received this set, I'll only watch the first five seasons. The last season just simply never existed and I hated the way they wrote Morrow out of the series: by creating a space/time warp that connected Alaska to New York City.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Yeah, what was up with that? I took it more symbolic with the journey he and Maggie took to find it, but it went way beyond a suspension of disbelief with the last season just becoming wacky with Joel's rabbi and the whale, etc. And I agree with the new doctor and his wife being one of the least interesting additions to a television show ensemble of all time.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I've got a question for anyone out there. I have the complete series set and I'm wondering if any knows if the carrying case for this set, the cloth carry bag, is safe to put through the washing machine.

I'm asking because the carrybag that I have for the set has become dirty.

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
Has anyone heard why Universal has pulled the Complete Series set from production? Every retailer is out of stock and it's listed as discontinued. Not even Universal's online store carries the item. Has Universal simply decided to just sell those defective double sided DVD's?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^Too funny...

Originally Posted by kemcha

Because not all double sided DVD's have problems and it doesn't involve all double sided DVD's. Not only that, but, certain DVD manufactured DVD players do not play certain double sided DVD's. I stopped having problems with the playback issue with double sided DVD's when I purchased a Phillips DVD Player with DIVX playback.

The problem, Leo, is that everyone is equating double sided DVD's with playback problems and that's an unfair assertion. Instead of complimenting Amazon for placing a disclaimer that a particular DVD release is double sided, everyone is menstrating over the fact that they don't say they have playback problems.

Not everyone has playback problems with a particular season set that has these double sided DVD's.

Oh, and Leo, they aren't problematic. If the problem were widespread, then Amazon would simply remove them from being sold on their website. Retailers do not generally sell defective merchandise when they are aware that they are defective and Amazon removes said product from their website when they are aware that it's defective.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by BobO'Link

^Too funny...
Yes it is. We call that ironic.

But hey, sometimes a guy just wants to stir the pot.

I own the first 2 seasons of NE. They were re-released on single sided discs about a year after the first release. I do not believe the rest of the show is on single sided discs, individually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda19798888
Recent bookmarks