What's new

Northern Exposure Seasons 3>? (1 Viewer)

Jim Blackie

Stunt Coordinator
I've looked eveywhere and can't find mention of upcoming DVD releases for later seasons of Northern Exposure. :frowning:

I have seasons 1 (R2, purchased a year before the R1 release) and 2 and put up with the music switches, but can't we expect any more? Even a rumor? With all the worries in today's world I look forward to time spent in Cicely.

And, speaking of R2, has anyone done a comparison of the Season 1 DVDs? (Gary?) Can't find that, either. :D

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Since S2 only came out a month or so ago, I wouldn't expect an announcement anytime soon. Hopefully Universal will follow (or better) the same schedule as the second season and release s3 within the next 6 to 7 months, but with the higher episode count, and the likelihood that there will be music issues, I wouldn't bet on it.

I too would like to see more Cicely soon.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Of course it's way too soon to expect an announcement, but that doesn't mean fans aren't eager for more with only half of what would constitute a normal full season currently available.

Since it seems highly likely that the music will have at least some replacements, holding back the release for rights clearances seems less of an issue now.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Posted by Ron Epstein from a Universal press release:

No word on music issues, but if it's coming this soon and at that price point, substitutions are almost a given. However, it looks like there will still be extras.

Jim Blackie

Stunt Coordinator
Aside from the music issues, very good news, indeed.

WHY would the music be changed? Oh, I understand the rights issues, but would the music in the background drive up the interest of the listeners and result in more sales for the artists? I just don't GET this whole philosophy! I mean the songs are in the BACKGROUND for Pete's sake! The most we hear is, what, a 30 second cut? This hurts the performing artist how?

Jeez, now my blood pressure's up again....

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
There is the time factor in consideration. If the studio needs to negotiate with each rights holder, and there are hold ups, the rights holder can't be found, the rights have changed hands, the rights holder and studio can't agree on a price, etc., it is easier and faster to just replace the music. Hopefully this won't affect any major works, but I'm not holding my breath.

Since each episode has at least a half dozen songs to license, the cost and the time to negotiate could be daunting, especially on a 23 episode season.

In theory, the studios should have been negotiating this stuff well in advance, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I'm just looking forward to some of the great episodes in season 3, like It Happened in Juneau, The Body in Question, Seoul Mates, Burning Down the House...

http://www.tvtome.com/NorthernExposure/season3.html

Great stuff!

John Mansor

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I am glad to see that the price point has stayed the same. The price for 7 or 8 episodes sets was way high but very worth a 23 episode set.

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
I wonder what the packaging will be like. Hopefully consistent with what they have been doing.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'm also intrigued by what the packaging will be like, since this is clearly going to span many more discs (probably 6 with extras if they keep the same episode count per disc) than either the first or second season. I doubt the parka idea will work.

Personally, I hate the little parkas. They look cute in the store, but they're of no practical value. I've got the ones from season one and two in a ziplock bag in my basement so I can just have the keepcases on my shelf with all the other DVDs. Same with the "big Cylon head" Battlestar Galactica box; I've moved all my BG discs into keepcases and thrown the big box into storage.

I'd much rather see Universal ditch the clever packaging ideas and shave ten dollars off their price point, or else leave the price the same but reinvest the money into (a) improved quality control (every disc I've ever had a problem with came from Universal) or (b) use it to acquire the original music. (I know there may be other issues causing the music problem, but this is just an idea...)

Jeff

Supporting Actor
I'm hoping no one here will buy it if it doesn't have all the original music intact. Let's not go sending the wrong message to the studios.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Interesting that with only two months to release that this third season hasn't shown up as preorders yet. Hasn't Universal solicited retaillers yet?

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I suppose this news story explains some of the reasoning behind the information not showing up, including the bad news that the release date has been pushed back a month. The cover art is pretty dull, although I didn't think Universal would continue with the parkas. I'm glad there are still outtakes, and the price is at least reasonable compared to S1 & 2.

Casey C.

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone heard anything about whether music is being replaced in Season 3? I have Season 1 but took a pass on Season 2. I'd like to buy Season 3 since it's the first full season, but the music issue gives me pause.

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor
How noticeable is the music issue?

Were the replacements elegantly chosen or does it stick out like a sore thumb?

Andy

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I have been revisiting the second season recently, and think I can pick out the substitutions, but can't be sure without a reference. What makes this noticible is that the music isn't familiar, and is generally fairly plain.

While I can't condone the replacement, for those who haven't seen the show in some time and aren't intimately familiar with the music, it should not be that blatent. It is still a great show.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Unlike Quantum Leap in a few spots. The Music replacement does not affect your NX viewing enjoyment in the slightest. Atleast in my opinion. I would think there will be some replacements in the S3 set aswell, considering there is almost 3 times the episodes and the set is the same price as the first two. But i can't wait to pick it up on tuesday!

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
The only music i ever remembered for the show was an Enya cut for the Jesse the Bear episode. I dont remember what season that is. Her music is always beautiful. Would hate to see it replaced...if it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks