Northern Exposure Seasons 1 & 2 combined 5/9

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Casey C., Mar 7, 2006.

1. Casey C.

Casey C. Stunt Coordinator

TVShowsonDVD.com reports that Universal is releasing Northern Exposure Seasons 1 and 2 in a combined set for $59.98. Release date is May 9.

http://tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5257

Speaking as someone who bought Season 1 but not Season 2, why the heck didn't they do this to begin with???? (I know, I know ...)

On the bright side: No more double-sided discs!

2. Craig Sherman

Craig Sherman Stunt Coordinator

Will there be a big parka over both of them?

3. Amy Mormino

Amy Mormino Supporting Actor

This is sort of a good/bad situation. I can understand why fans would be upset if they'd already bought the ridiculously overpriced previous sets. But the move away from double-sided discs is very welcome. Perhaps Universal really is changing its ways.

4. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

No, it isn't.

5. ChrisCook

ChrisCook Screenwriter

I just bought the first season of "Northern Exposure" with the orange parka. I've been wanting to get this for a long time, and I really don't want the second season. I love the pilot, especially the episode "A Kodak Moment". I missed out getting the VHS of the pilot. Though I want to slap Universal for dropping the double-sided discs for the single discs for this combined re-release. DVD Times commented that the "Mock Movie Footage" and "Video Documentary Footage" from Season 1 are missing.

Forgot to add, that "Northern Exposure's" first season will make a nice compliment to the also musically cleared first season of "Quantum Leap" I already have.

6. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

Well, this bit of news has me peeved (as someone who bought the first three seasons already). I'm miffed that a) Universal discontinued the use of the parka packaging with season 3, and b) they've combined the first two seasons into one package (sans parka) and priced it accordingly. Great job, folks. [​IMG]

7. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

I totally agree, especially for these re-releases.

I never bought the original sets, bet weren't they both two-disc sets on DVD-10s? I seem to remember that Universal spread the episodes out over 4 sides, even though they could have fit on two sides (either 2 DVD-9s; or 1 DVD-18. Since they were charging $60 per set, it seemed as though they were trying to fool the consumer into thinking he was getting a good value. Adding that gimmicky "parka" made the package a bit bigger, adding to its perceived value. They simply "fluffed" up these releases to justify their (ridiculously high) retail price.

It's unfortunate, but marketing studies have proven that the average consumer does perceive the product (in this case DVD) as a better value -- if it contains more discs and larger packaging. The same product, with fewer discs in compact packaging, implies a lesser value -- even though the actual contents are identical.

8. Tony S

Tony S Stunt Coordinator

^Probably why season 1 of Night Court didn't sell well. I was in a standard plastic case instead of cardboard that season sets usually come in.

9. Pete Battista

Pete Battista Screenwriter

Pete
    I personally am thrilled with this news... #1 I didn't buy the original releases because of the price... #2 I much prefer single sided discs! [​IMG][​IMG]

10. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott

Me too !!!

11. Louis C

Louis C Supporting Actor

Now I will consider buying, but will suspiciously await news on the street price. Any guesses are appreciated.

12. Wayne Klein

Wayne Klein Agent

From Matt: It's unfortunate, but marketing studies have proven that the average consumer does perceive the product (in this case DVD) as a better value -- if it contains more discs and larger packaging. The same product, with fewer discs in compact packaging, implies a lesser value -- even though the actual contents are identical.

I've actually never seen any marketing studies done recently to this effect. While that might be true with some products, I wouldn't think that the package size would matter as long as you're getting the entire TV series/movie. Perhaps this was true early in the release of home video but I wouldn't think so anymore.

13. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

Umm....the price was announced - $59.98.

Gord

14. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

By "street price," I'm assuming Louis means the price stores will be charging for the set, as opposed to retail price.

15. Jeffrey R

Jeffrey R Stunt Coordinator

Street price appears to be about $40 for the set. Checked Amazon and DDD.

16. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    I think that this is good news. I haven't purchased the rest of the series because season 1 was so expensive for just eight episodes. However, I will be getting the combined season 1 and 2 set and then picking up the rest of the series as well. Now I have an extra season 1 set that I'll need to get rid of.

17. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Why wait? This week only at Circuit City, S1 through S3 sets are $18.99 each.

As a diehard fan, I purchased each set on its release date, generally at around double CC's sale price. Well, I've learned my lesson...from 2000 to 2004, bought ~300 dvds. From 2004 onward, perhaps < 10.

Not going to bite on release week 'promotional' pricing anymore.

18. Richard Michael Clark

Richard Michael Clark Second Unit

In the tvshowsondvd review they mention that a lot of the extras from the 2 seasons have been chopped from this release, my question is why?
    Is it so fans who bought the previous releases don't get pissed? or is it a disc space issue (but if they are using dvd-9s why exactly should that be any problem)?
    I hope someone can explain!
    Dvd Talk's review says all the extras are the same! Who is being accurate here? I'd assume tvshowsondvd as they seem to have gone into it in some detail.

19. Roger_R

Roger_R Second Unit

Most likely disc space issue. The original release of season 1 was on two DVD-14s and season 2 was on one DVD-10 and one DVD-14. The only way to cram that onto four DVD-9s is to lower the bitrate, which would mean the new release would have inferior picture quality.
    If they'd gone for 6 discs, they would have been able to keep everything.

Universal chucked out a few extras for the season 4 set too. Since it has 25 episodes, and they're afraid of having more than 3 discs in a set, they crammed 5 episodes onto one side of the first disc. This means that they didn't have any space on that side to add the deleted scenes for those episodes, and therefore didn't add them at all. It looks really stupid when all the episodes have some extra stuff except for the first five.

20. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

I compared all the extras on the current set to the 2 previously released sets, even noting the time differences in some of them (they were just the title cards, not any actual content). The packaging shows the extras as being the same, but they aren't. Maybe the DVDTalk reviewer just glanced at the back of the box, or wasn't aware of what extras were on the first two sets (I haven't read the review).

Gord
    P.S. I just sent Randy an email and suggested he correct his review so others aren't confused.