Northern Exposure Season 1 Release Announced

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Kipp Teague, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Kipp Teague

Kipp Teague Stunt Coordinator

(This announcement deserves its own thread)

From TVShowsOnDVD.com:

DVD Exposure
    Posted by David Lambert
    2/17/2004

Fans have been eagerly awaiting this news since the July '03 report from USA Today that it was in-the-works. Today, TVShowsOnDVD is pleased to tell you that Northern Exposure - The Complete 1st Season will arrive on DVD this May 25th.

The series premiered with a short 8-episode run in the Summer of 1990, an hour long "dramedy" about a Jewish doctor (played by Rob Morrow) who's deal to get paid up for medical school meant he had to go where he was assigned...in Alaska, since the state was the source of the money. Dr. Joel Fleischman is assigned in the end to Cicely, Alaska, a town full of strange but lovable characters including former astronaut Maurice J. Minnifield (Barry Corbin), a radio D.J. ("Chris in the Morning", played by John Corbett) with a strange outlook on life, Ed Chigliak (Darren Burrows )...and Maggie O'Connell, of course, played by co-star Janine Turner.

Universal Home Video announced the DVD release of the debut season this morning, on a 2-disc (double-sided "DVD-14") set running at 384 minutes. List price is $59.98 for this set, which comes in a special limited-edition "Parka" packaging that is sure to be a collectible item. 4x3 video and English Dolby Surround Sound represent the original over-the-air presentation of this show, and on the DVD you also get French and Spanish subtitles to choose from. The discs are closed captioned for the hearing impaired, too.

With such a short season, Universal didn't want to disappoint the fans with too short a DVD release, so they are adding some nice bonus material to this box set. Look for these extras:

Deleted Scenes
    Video Documentary Footage
    Mock Movie Footage
    "Unexposed" Footage

This is a long-awaited, highly-anticipated release that fans have been clamoring for. Universal has delivered with a set that is sure to please everyone. Stay tuned, because we'll be back soon with pictures of the "Parka packaging" cover art.

Link to this page:
    http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=1133

2. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Unexposed footage is probably something about the "running of the bulls"

3. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    Holy smokes, this is good news -- but $60 for 8 episodes on 2 DVDs? That's pretty outrageous.

4. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

Wow...I dunno...I think the Parka cover is hysterical. Might be worth picking up just for that! Check out the link posted a couple posts back.

5. Arnie G

Arnie G Supporting Actor

The price is in line with X-files & Star Trek TV per episode.[​IMG]

6. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

*shrug* The price doesn't bother me. The show is hilarious enough and the packaging RULES [​IMG]

*Rob has paid $30MSRP for 3 23-minute episodes of anime for more than one show* [​IMG]

7. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Amazon.com has the set up for preorder at $41.99. I'm still waiting for Amazon.ca to get their listing up.

8. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

It was listed as the #1 selling DVD at Amazon when I visited the page, so hopefully that's a sign that it will sell OK & we'll get all seasons released quickly & at a reasonable price.

9. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Looking at the episode guide for the first season, I can recall all but one of these episodes. The ending to the pilot is priceless.

I do hope these sell and subsequent seasons get released in a timely manner, as I can't wait for the third season, which is full of great episodes.

10. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

There were actually five laserdiscs released in total, but they were random episodes:

Pilot/Aurora Borealis
    Cicely/Northwest Passages
    Thanksgiving/Seoul Mates
    The Body in Question/Burning Down the House
    The Big Feast/Northern Lights

Granted, this set is a lot less than would have been paid for the LDs, but the same is true for every DVD that is out.

I just hope they have decent transfers and all the original music for that price.

11. BobH

BobH Stunt Coordinator

Please remind me of the bulls episode and why it might be "unexposed."

One of the great things about this news is to finally have the opportunity to see all the episodes I have missed!

12. MichaelW

MichaelW Stunt Coordinator

how many seasons were there altogether?

I seem to remember the last one not being as good... was there a reason for this - change in director or something?

Thanks for the info.

13. ScottDombrowski

ScottDombrowski Second Unit

Scott
    I didn't exactly feel it went down the toilet, but it really wasn't the same at all. I think maybe if CBS had given them a little more time that it might have turned around. It seemed mostly like the writers didn't know what to do after Rob Morrow left. I didn't mind the new doctor and his wife as much as the romance between Chris and Maggie. That really didn't seem believable in any way, and they seemed sort of like completely different characters. I wasn't really crazy about Joel's final episode either. Overall though, I still pretty much loved the show and will love having every season. Maybe the final season will seem better after all this time. Like others here, my least favorite season in many ways was the fourth season. I really didn't like Anthony Edwards' bubble guy. He just really annoyed me! I LOVED the first, second, third, and fifth seasons though! I can't wait for these DVDs!

14. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I agree with Scott that the final season wasn't THAT bad, but the writers obviously didn't know what to do with the new characters at first, and the Chris/Maggie thing just didn't seem believable. There were some pretty good episodes there though.

Aside from the episodes available on LD, it has been many years since I've watched the show, so they all form this sort of Northern Exposure wash. Bubble Boy is easily my least favorite storyline and character, which is why I am underwhelmed by season four.

Season one will be a blast, but is far too short to be really satisfying, despite some classic episodes. I just hope Universal has more lined up sooner than later.

15. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

The spring thaw arrives, bringing with the eerie sounds of ice cracking and a noticeable rise in the libidos of everyone in Cicely. The show concludes with all of the men running naked through the streets. If I remember correctly, this is the one with Joel having sex dreams where he is in the Robert Palmer music videos. Very funny episode. Will_B may have been suggesting that the "unexposed" footage would include pictures of the actor's naughty bits. [​IMG]

Brad

16. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

17. ChrisRose

ChrisRose Stunt Coordinator

If they announce that the high price is due to music clearance, then I understand. Otherwise it is pretty outrageous for 8 episodes and I don't know if I'll be buying. (I've never seen Northern Exposure, but I'd like to check it out because it's supposed to be so great)

18. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    I'm doing the HAPPY DANCE!

Now I can throw away yet ANOTHER batch of taped-at-SP VHS tapes!

Mike

19. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    I like NE, but I don't think I'll pick up the first season at THAT price.

20. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

The latest cover pic. I like it!
    [​IMG]