Northern Exposure on A&E??????????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Darren_Fu, Jun 18, 2002.

1. Darren_Fu

Darren_Fu Stunt Coordinator

Just wondering if anyone knows if the TV show Northern Exposure that was on A&E, will ever be released on DVD?? They released the first 2 seasons on VHS. I figured since they did that. They might release them on DVD?? If anyone knows or would like to see it on DVD, let me know.

Thanks,

DF

2. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    "Northern Exposure" is a much requested/desired show here at HTF. Unfortunately, I believe someone determined a while back that A&E does not have the rights to release NE on DVD.

A&E home video execs have commented publicly on more than one occasion that DVD has been a smashing success for them, outselling the older VHS releases of their various TV product many times over. You have to figure if they could release NE, they would. Since they haven't done so, I can only conclude that they indeed do not have the rights.

As to who does have the rights - I haven't a clue. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable (calling David Lambert or Gord Lacey) will chime in here with more information.

3. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    I think Northern Exposure was originally on CBS, so would they control the rights?

4. George Cifrancis

George Cifrancis Stunt Coordinator

George
  5. Darren_Fu

Darren_Fu Stunt Coordinator

I did a little research and I found that Northern Exposure is copyrighted by Universal City Studios. That is the same as Universal Studios isn't it.

DF

I have to edit one more thing in here.

Northern Exposure Season One is avail on DVD in the UK in PAL Format. There is no news as to when it will be released in the US.
    Just thought you all would like to know. They need to come out with like the first 3 season box set for the US and Canada. In my opinion.

Thanks once again,
    DF

6. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

This show needs to be seen in chronological order to get the best character development, and unfortunately the LD versions are "best of" pairs. This is one of few series I would actually spend money for. It is showing on APTN (Aboriginal People TV Network) in Canada last I saw it. I inquired with A&E quite some time ago, but they had just lost the broadcast rights and didn't know anything about a possible DVD release.

7. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

It's also showing on Country Canada, unedited, 5 days a week.
    I would not suggest anyone getting the UK season 1 release since it's been out there for 3 years with no other seasons in sight.

8. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Darren beat me to it. It's Universal who owns the right to that one. Might be a while, unless the rumors of their getting their TV act going turn out to be true. Even then, I imagine other shows would be higher on their list (Galactica, Six Million Dollar Man, A-Team, Hulk, Xena, Marcus Welby, Miami Vice, Rockford Files, Law & Order, etc.)

9. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I can't imagine that A-Team has a higher market potential than NE, if it does, well...

Galactica I can see given the nature of the fanbase.

Get on with it Universal!

10. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Dave, I realize you're just speculating, but your post has me depressed. There's not ONE show on your list that I'm even remotely interested in. OTOH, I would buy NE without hesitation.
    Let's just say I hope you're WAY off on your assessment! [​IMG]

11. Chris M

Chris M Second Unit

Isn't Quantum Leap a Universal product too? Damn, that would be good to have along with Northern Exposure.

Why is Universal lagging so far behind WB, Fox, Paramount, A&E, etc?

Chris.

12. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Actually, I had forgotten Quantum Leap, which would likely be high on the list so as to tie-in with Star Trek fans.
    A-Team would probably make the cut sooner than NE because of several factors: Action/Adventure, tie-in to Galactica fans (and Trek fans by way of "Mad Dog" Barclay [​IMG] ), and a renewed interest in Mr. T and "The Van" (which has been showing up at car shows around the country, I'm told). Finally, there's thoughts of a movie adaptation of this property...believe it or not!
    NE doesn't have NEARLY as much going for it; sorry!
    As to why Universal is slow on this, it's the same reason I'm sure as their slowness on BTTF and other FILM properties: that stupid foreign distro deal they signed with Columbia. Once all is dead and gone, and they can take all the profits for themselves (and lets face it; the TV product isn't cheap to make), then they should get rolling. That's why I feel the rumors of stuff "waiting in the wings" is rather plausible. [​IMG]

13. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

14. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Does anyone know the quality of the UK NE first season? Some great episodes in there...

15. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

Before you read any more of this reply, I must point out that I am hardly an expert on disc transfers. Often I see people criticizing a release that I find to be perfectly acceptable, so anything I say must be taken with a pinch of salt.
    Anyhow, I have the Northern Exposure season 1 set - 2 discs.
    4 episodes on each disc which appears to be the standard to hour long TV releases. I find the picture to be very dark in places (but I have noticed this with a lot of TV on DVD releases) and the picture is fine - not good, but better than season 1 and 2 of Buffy for example.
    If you really want Northern Exposure, have the equipment then it may be worth you importing - note this release is exclusive to HMV at the moment, though I expect it to be on general release soon.
    http://www.hmv.co.uk - I have no idea if they ship overseas or not.